“The Vagina Monologues” returns

Britni Bouzigard, government senior from Cut Off, reads her lines as Amy Orgeron, nursing junior from Cut Off, and Marie McChargue, marketing senior from Gray, listen during Sundays practice in Peltier Auditorium.
Photo by: Lisa Spence
Britni Bouzigard, government senior from Cut Off, reads her lines as Amy Orgeron, nursing junior from Cut Off, and Marie McChargue, marketing senior from Gray, listen during Sunday’s practice in Peltier Auditorium.

A second production of “The Vagina Monologues” will be performed in Peltier Auditorium March 7-9 at 7p.m. The goal for the production is to raise awareness to stop violence against women and girls and to raise funds for Chez Hope, a local non-profit group that assists abused and battered families, and the University’s women’s resource and services office.

Also, 10 percent of those funds will be donated to V-Day, a global non-profit women’s rights organization so the organization can continue its nationwide and global efforts. The last production raised more than $4,000 in ticket sales.

“The Vagina Monologues” was performed two years ago, and Sabrina Laurent, women’s resources and services coordinator, said many people asked Laurent when the production would be performed at the University again. Some cast members from the first production are employed by the University, which made it possible to bring the performance to campus once again.

“We had all the key people on campus to pull it off,” Laurent said. “It takes not just the director or an office to sponsor, but it takes student volunteers and cast members”

Although it seems as if anything in relation to the production of “The Vagina Monologues” is strictly for females, some males volunteered to help in various aspects of the production, Laurent said.

“The production is extremely empowering for anyone involved,” she said. “To me, the best part is watching these students grow.”

The purpose of the production is to spread awareness and stop the violence against women, Amy Orgeron, nursing junior from Cut Off, said.

“People really need to learn that women can be open with their sexuality,” she also said.

Britni Bouzigard, government senior from Cut Off, said she saw the production two years ago, and now she is very excited to be a part of it. She said the production deals with women’s issues that most people are hesitant to talk about

Bouzigard said she feels it is important that messages dealing with women issues get out.

“People don’t like talking about rape or the vagina,” Bouzigard said. “Also, some people still think of women as being less than men, and we definitely aren’t anymore.”

Cast member Marie McChargue, marketing senior from Gray, said she was quite nervous about being in the production. She said as a child the topic was never discussed between her and her mother at home.

“It’s liberating, in a sense, to be able to talk about it on stage,” McChargue said.

Since the vagina is not a subject commonly discussed in casual conversation, the feeling of liberation is common among cast members.

“I’m so glad to be able to say the word vagina,” Bonnie Fortson, government senior from Thibodaux said. “I used to slap my children if they said vagina and now I’m saying vagina (on stage).”

Fortson said it is important to see that women can express themselves.

Gabrielle Jambon, family and consumer sciences senior from Larose, said she feels the women in the play formed a sisterhood through practicing together.

Jambon also said every woman should watch this production.

“The Vagina Monologues” has been performed in cities across America and at numerous college campuses. According to the production’s website, it is “a celebration of female sexuality in all its complexity and mystery.