Events scheduled for women’s history

Women’s History month will be celebrated at Nicholls by many entertaining and educational events. The Nicholls production of “The Vagina Monologues” will be performed March 7-9. “The Vagina Monologues” is a play that has been performed all around the country to raise awareness and money to stop violence against women. This performance will benefit local non-profit organizations both on and off campus. Tickets for students are $7 in advance or $10 at the door.

The Women’s Resource Center is holding a three-day self-defense class March 27-29. Rape Aggression Defense, is a 12-hour course that focuses on preventing violence against women by teaching awareness, prevention, risk-reduction and avoidance. Only then does the class instruct hands-on self-defense.

According to Sabrina Laurent, coordinator for the Women’s Resource Center, the end of the class is most students’ favorite part. Students put the moves they have learned into practice against volunteers from the Lafourche Parish Sheriffs Office.

“It is a very empowering class,” Laurent said. “You look at the world differently.”

There will be two sessions of the class offered, 1-5 p.m. and 7-11 p.m. The location of the class is not yet known.

SEALS will also be holding a panel of professional women in male-dominated fields March 28. The panel will include women from on-campus and from the local community who have jobs that are traditionally male-associated.

Also sponsored by the WRC is the Women’s History month Luncheon March 16, whose theme will be “Generations of Women Moving History Forward.”

There will be three awards given to women in the categories of on-campus, community, and student.

“This is an opportunity to recognize their work which contributes to the enhancement of women,” said Laurent.

The SEALS will be sponsoring “Whoa What a Woman”-grams throughout the month, which are cards of appreciation students can send to any woman on campus. The proceeds from the sale of the grams will go to STOP, a SEALS scholarship.

The SEALS will have a “Because I’m Worth It Day” that will include tips to show women how to improve their self-esteem and self-confidence March 1.