Senior singing sensation

Many students, whether or not they have the talent, dream of becoming the next American Idol. But Kristi-Lynne Reulet refuses to be labeled with that distinction. In fact, she doesn’t even like most of the music on the radio. Singing popular music, well, that’s something she will probably never consider.

“I just don’t care for most of the music out there anymore,” Reulet, a Vacherie resident, said. “Some songs do have some depth and meaning to them, but very little really does.”

Don’t be fooled, though. This Nicholls soprano diva loves music as much as any other singer. That’s why the 21-year-old vocal music senior has chosen to surpass instant media fame and pursue a career in music where every lyric, melody and note has a significant meaning and purpose.

“I feel that if I’m going to get a degree and work on my voice to make it better, then I will go ahead and sing more challenging songs filled with true literature,” said Reulet, who can also play piano.

As a theatrical vocalist, Reulet aspires to sing professionally while acting in plays. She hopes to one day perform on Broadway. With the exception of NPR Radio, she realizes her voice will not often be heard through the airwaves because of her style. She does, however, hope to record many CDs and have concerts.

“I like being on stage, and I like singing,” said Reulet, whose favorite musician is “Wind Beneath My Wings” singer Bette Midler. “Music gives me a way to express myself. I’ve sung since I was little bitty, and I’ve always loved being in the spotlight. If music is a way to get me in the spotlight, then I am all for it.”

Spectators will have a chance, for free, to see Reulet perform live during her senior recital Tuesday in Talbot Theater at 7:30 p.m. She will sing 18 songs, including five Italian, four German and four French tunes and will conclude with five pieces by Samuel Barber, an English Pulitzer Prize winning romantic vocalist and composer.

“I’m looking forward to it,” Reulet said. “I’ve been working thoroughly to expand my repertoire, and I’ll be singing a few different genres. It will be fun, and I encourage people to come.”

While she enjoys performing at Nicholls, Reulet’s biggest dream is to play Christine in “The Phantom of the Opera.” Christine, a chorus girl who has been taking lessons with the Phantom, auditions and replaces the lead singer after the Phantom frightens the lead singer away. Most of the play revolves around Christine and the Phantom.

Before Reulet gets that far, though, the president’s list student hopes to first earn her master’s degree of musical performance from the Louisiana State University School of Music. While some artists have been successful on talent alone, Reulet believes receiving proper college training and instruction can be beneficial for a long career.

“You learn to use your voice properly and avoid vocal infections,” Reulet said, pointing out how untrained season one American Idol Kelly Clarkson frequently became hoarse during the contest. “You know how to not to strain your voice and hurt it. There are so many technical aspects to singing, and it’s important to know them all.”

Earning a degree, Reulet said, also gives aspiring musicians the advantage of learning about different genres of music and how to sing each style. And she has gained much knowledge during her years at Nicholls. Not only has she learned in the classroom, but also through her experience with the Concert Choir, Chamber Singers and the marching band as the flag team co-captain.

“We have such a close knit school,” said Reulet, also a member of Sigma Alpha Iota international music fraternity. “Most people know each other on a first name basis. In the music department, especially, we are a big family. I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned and gotten better since I’ve been here.”

While many people have inspired Reulet to become the best person and singer she can be, she said Charlotte Pipes, professor of music, has made the biggest impact on her.

“She means so much because she’s an awesome singer, and she could be famous singing somewhere else,” Reulet said. “Yet, she decided to teach others and share her talents with her students so they could make it big one day.”

Coming from a musically gifted family, music has always been a part of Reulet’s life. Her grandmother sang professionally at weddings and special events, her paran played guitar and bass in a band and her cousin plays bass. However, she first seriously thought about a possible career in music after she participated in several musical plays and in marching band at E.D. White High School.

“Following my family’s path and having so much fun performing in high school, it just seemed natural for me to pursue a future in music,” said Reulet, who was given a $100 savings bond award by the Knights of Columbus that helped her start at Nicholls.

Besides performing in several concerts at Nicholls, she also sings on scholarship at First United Methodist Church in Houma and with her boyfriend twice a month at the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.

“Singing at church is the best way to give our talents back to God,” said Reulet, the winner of a Nicholls choir leadership award.

As her time at Nicholls winds down, Reulet will spend her last days cherishing moments many college students dream of. Besides being inducted into the Nicholls Hall of Fame and performing solo at the Concert Choir’s April 6 show, she will sing the alma mater at her May 15 graduation.