Athletes receive academic honors in conference

Nicholls placed 37 student athletes on the Capital One Bank/Southland Conference Commissioner’s 2006 Fall Academic Honor Roll. Of the 37 student athletes, 23 were male and 21 played football.

“It says a lot about their character by being able to balance school, practice, games and studying,” head football coach Jay Thomas said when asked how this reflects his players.

To be eligible for this award, the student athlete must have competed in a fall championship sport, maintained a 3.0 GPA and enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours. Each school is responsible for selecting the student athletes for the honor roll.

Soccer boasted the most women athletes receiving this award with nine including four freshmen: Jessica Bedford from Northamptonshire, England, Michelle Branscome from Friendswood, Texas and Alicia Gautreau and Ledin Zubia from Gonzalez.

Katherine Perters, elementary education sophomore from Alexandria and Denise Prewett, health sciences sophomore from Waynesville, Mo. were also honored as well as Kristen Filmore, health and physical education junior from Waco, Texas and Heather Gamble, health sciences junior from Laplace.

The one senior honored was Sarah Neuzing, business administration major from Gastonia, N.C.

“This is a true example of Nicholls as a whole and especially the student athletes here,” head coach Cindy Piper said.

Both Piper and Thomas agreed having so many players receive this award helps with the recruiting process for next year.

“Parents love to see honors like this,” Piper said.

Piper also added many coaches say their kids spend a lot of time studying, but it is nice to have this hard evidence to show for it.

“I think awards like this show the students’ dedication to their studies and say a lot about the professors here at Nicholls,” Thomas said.

“Parents like to see that a kid can leave Tuesday for a Thursday night game in Texas and still be able to get assignments done.”

Most football players on the team are from other states, which Thomas said may cause parents to worry about athletes doing their school work.

“For most kids, football gives them a chance to go to school.” Thomas said.

Two players, Zach Morgan, government junior from Marianna, Fla. and Toney Edison, petroleum services senior from Taylorsville, Miss., also received All-Conference honors.

The 21 football players are the most under Coach Thomas to receive the award in the eight years he has coached at Nicholls.

Cross country added four athletes: Thomas Bourne, health and physical education senior from Baton Rouge, Charlotte Everhardt, dietetics sophomore from Metairie, Joshua Fullerton, nursing sophomore from Iowa and Eunice Jepkogei, general studies junior from Kapsebet, Kenya.

Volleyball put three players on the list: Amy Beshir, freshman from Huntsville, Ala., Aaliyah Muhammad, family and consumer sciences senior from Gretna and Rachel Spreen, freshman from Houston, Texas.