SPA hosts annual comedy night March 8

Student Programming Association will hold its annual Comedy Night March 8 at 7 p.m. in the Cotillian Ballroom. Jennifer White, Coordinator of Auxiliary Services, said this year Comedy Night will consist of three comedians: Eric O’Shea, Roy Wood and Jay Black.

Each year White and members of the SPA executive board attend the National Association of Campus Activities Conference where schools are able to shop for entertainment. Each performer is given 20 minutes to perform a comic routine to help schools decide whether they want to hire the person to perform at their school.

After the comedian performs for 20 minutes, you can tell whether the performer will be good for your event, White said.

“Sometimes we laugh so hard we cry,” White said.

Eric O’Shea, from Burbank, Calif., is a two-time NACA Comedian of the Year and is nominated for the award again this year.

Roy Wood, from Huntersville, N.C., is known for his Elmo impressions. Wood has been on CBS’s Star Search where he reached the semi-finals. He was one of nine national finalists in Comedy Central’s 2002 Laugh Riot Competition. Wood has appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman, Black Entertainment Television’s Club Comic View, Showtime at the Apollo and Comedy Central’s Premiere Blend.

Jay Black, from Canton, Conn., started a career as an English teacher but decided adapt his act it to a club setting, according to cuttingedgecomedy.com.

“We try to create a club setting where you can sit back, relax and have a good time,” White said.

White said Comedy Night is free to undergraduate students with seven or more hours and graduate students with six or more hours. Faculty and staff are also invited to attend. All in attendance must present a valid colonel card.

Door prizes will be given away, and refreshments will be served.