SPJ Chapter hosts ethics panel

The Nicholls chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists will have its first ethics panel on March 31 at 1 p.m. in Le Bijou Theatre. The panel is part of the Jubilee celebration, is open to the public and is free of charge.”The goal of this event is to educate people about the problems that journalists face on a day to day basis,” said Lloyd Chiasson, professor of mass communications and adviser of the Society of Professional Journalists.

Panelists will include several prominent local journalists in print and broadcasting along with professors and Nicholls alumni. John Snell, anchor for WDSU Fox 8; Keith Magill, executive news editor for The Houma Courier; Brent Ledet and Joe Frisard, WWL Channel 4 sports producers; Susan Langenhennig, West Bank assistant bureau chief and community news editor at the Times Picayune in New Orleans; Lloyd Chiasson, professor of mass communication; James Stewart, department head of mass communication; Glen Antizzo, government professor; Tresha Mabile, Chicago based producer and Nicholls alumna; and Laura McKnight, Nicholls mass communication alumna will all discuss topics of the day.

The panelists will be presented with 10 different case studies selected and researched by the Society of Professional Journalists. After each situation is read, the panelists will discuss what happened and what should have been done.

“We tried to find some interesting topics that specifically deal with things relative to Louisiana,” said SPJ president, Marie Ory. “It should be interesting to see what the panelist s have to say.”

SPJ is a professional organization that is open to students and is committed to working to improve and protect journalism. “It gives students the opportunity to meet professionals and network and learn more about what they are going to be doing in the future,” Chiasson said.

The Nicholls chapter of SPJ is a new organization, and this is its first event. They hope to sponsor an ethics panel every year along with other events. They are trying to gain name recognition and attract more members through this event.

“We are excited about our first event,” said Ory. “It is a great way for people to witness how ethical situations and decisions are dealt with in the working world.”

“At the heart and soul of good journalism is good ethics,” Chiasson said. “The panel we have selected should be representative of this, and we are certainly looking forward to it.