Student intern acquires real-world experience

A woman’s day used to typically involve pots, pans, aprons, yellow rubber gloves and many spray bottles of various cleaning products; however, today, housework is not solely a woman’s responsibility anymore. Women are stepping out of the domestic world and into the business and political world. Though it is not unusual to be a woman in a man’s position, it does not change the fact that women catch people off guard more often, Brittany Barrios, government junior from New Orleans, said.

“I think we’re maybe a little more fierce than men because, you know, we wear high heels and look better,” she said.

Women may be fierce, but they are often tagged with the stereotypical moody and overly aggressive persona, Barrios said. “I like when a woman takes her job very seriously, but I don’t like when she pushes people away with such a strong personality that no one wants to work with her.”

Barrios is the Women and Government intern for the Governor’s Office on Women’s Policy. She said she believes women in government get the credit and chances they deserve.

“Now you have Nancy Palosi being Speaker of the House and the first female governor in Louisiana,” she said. “Women are finally establishing themselves in the government and corporate world.”

Joshua Stockley, assistant professor of history and social sciences, is her inspiration, Barrios said. She was originally majoring in mass communication with a broadcast journalism concentration and a minor in government. In the course of her Government 101 class with Stockley, he pushed her to pursue her true passion.

Barrios said she took the internship to get experience and establish a resume. She said she is gaining knowledge in many areas from policy pushers to actual politicians. She will also be working for the Jefferson Delegation March 12, which is a group of state representatives and senators elected from Jefferson Parish.

Transitioning from a college lifestyle to a professional one was not easy at first for Barrios. This is her first “real 8-hour job” and though the transition was difficult, it was worth it, she said. “Having to conduct yourself professionally and actually representing an office has been a very valuable experience.”

Barrios heard about the internship through Glenn Antizzo, associate professor of history and social sciences. She said he thought she would be a good candidate for the position. Antizzo referred her to the Center for Women and Government and she picked up an application and applied.

“It was a very rigorous interview, and I was blessed enough to get [the internship],” Barrios said.

The summer internships are usually more competitive because students want to focus on their schoolwork during the fall and spring semesters, she said.

“I wanted to go and get a taste of what it would be like right before legislative session starts,” Barrios said.

Once Barrios graduates she said she is going to attend law school, but as of now she is unsure of what type of law she will pursue.

“I’ll figure it out before I go,” she said.

Later on, Barrios will possibly go into politics. She said she wants to work in the private sector for quite a while to become established.