Greeks to celebrate philanthropy, unity for week

This year’s annual Greek Week festivities will be held the week of March 24. Greek Week is a chance for all fraternities and sororities on campus to come together for a variety of competitions. “It’s a unity activity,” says Rina Clarke, Greek life adviser. “You get to compete but at the same time have fun.”

“Penny jars” will be placed at every event. All money collected at the events will go towards the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Debbie Cheramie, a mass communications freshman from Morgan City, sorority member and cystic fibrosis victim will be the speaker. “We are trying to make philanthropy more prominent this year,” explained Clarke.

Activities will begin Sunday with the Greek walk and Greek picnic. The walk starts at 12:30 p.m. at City Hall and ends in front of the Student Union. The picnic will start at 3 p.m. at the intramural field.

Everyone is invited to Songfest on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Peltier Auditorium. Fraternities and sororities will compete by performing original skits. “The girls, especially, are excited about Songfest because we get to dance,” Sarah Owen, vice-president of the Pan-Hellenic counsel, said. Cost is $1 for Greeks and $2 for non-Greeks.

Tuesday’s events are a cabbage ball tournament at 3 p.m. for the women and chariot races at 5:00 for the men. Both activities will be at the intramural field.

Final competitions will be held at E.D. White track and will include tug-of-war, shot put, long jump, javelin, discuss and a football throw.

“We are really looking forward to the track and field events so we can show off our skills,” said Connelly Wright, TKE senior from Marrero.

The festivities end with an awards banquet Thursday in the Student Union snack bar at 7 p.m. Awards for leadership and community service will be given along with the announcement of the Greek god, goddess and the Greek court.

Winners of Greek Week are just one step closer to winning the Greek Cup, which is being reintroduced this year.