Campus road work nearing completion

While two new University projects are expected to begin by the end of the month, the ongoing roadwork on campus is scheduled to be complete by March 20. The remaining work for the re-surfacing of the roads includes clean up, striping the parking lots and roads and the painting of crosswalks. If all goes well, the work will be done by the aforementioned date, Mike Davis, assistant vice president of administration, said. The work was initially scheduled to be complete by May 1.

“We’re way ahead of schedule,” Davis said.

According to a Nicholls Worth article written last April, the University initially planned for the construction of the parking lots to begin November 2005. Hurricane Katrina did its share of complicating the project with rising costs and setting the project back.

If the project had been delayed any further, it would have been much more expensive to complete, according to Davis. The project was scheduled as quickly as possible, Davis said.

“There’s no easy time to do these particular projects,” Davis said. “There was a lot of difficulty putting it together.”

The project was scheduled quickly also for the benefit of students. Davis said most of the feedback from students and articles in The Nicholls Worth indicated that the University had been “dragging its feet” with the projects.

“We were listening,” Davis said.

The project’s mid-semester schedule did not appear to be a problem; there were very few complaints and “it looks like everyone handled it extremely well,” Davis said.

Other aspects of the project, such as students receiving E-mails notifying them of specific areas under construction, had a considerable affect on some students.

Angelle Hardesty, government junior from Plattenville, said her vehicle was nearly towed because she was parked in front of the library when roadwork was scheduled to be done in that particular area.

“I think something else besides sending out an E-mail needs to be done because no one reads their E-mail,” Hardesty said. “They should just put up a sign, block off a road or something because it’s not fair to students to have to pay to get their own car towed.”

It may seem as if closing down parking lots and streets with many students, faculty and staff in need of a place to park would significantly affect the University, but Davis said he drove around during the busiest times to see what impact the project would have on the University and there was plenty of parking still available in many parking lots.

“I think we did pretty good,” Davis said. “I’m pleased that we’re able to present this to the students now, and they’ll be able to benefit from it now.”

Davis said he is very pleased with the work the contractors have done. He is particularly pleased with the students, faculty and staff who have made the project much easier, and he thanks everyone for their cooperation.

“We knew it would inconvenience a few people, but we thought the immediate benefits were worth it,” Davis said.

Though she understands all the construction occurring on campus may be a hassle for many people, Jennifer Smith, mass communication sophomore from Houma, said everyone should realize that all of the work being done is for the betterment of the University.

“It’s something that needs to be done,” Smith said. “It will bring the University up to par with other colleges around the state.”

This project has not affected cafeteria renovations or the other two projects scheduled to begin close to the end of the month.

The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors, according to Davis, has approved both the astro turf installation in John L. Guidry Stadium and a donation from a contractor in Houma to build a soccer facility for the women’s soccer program.

The housing project is still in progress. The University is expecting to go to the Board at its April meeting for approval, Davis said. The project will consist of building new residence halls and tearing down the existing units.