Debate shows frontrunners in election

With the presidential election less than 26 days away, a poll released after the first presidential debate showed 84 percent of voters have “definitely” decided to cast their vote on President Barack Obama or Republican Nominee Mitt Romney.
The poll distributed by Reuters/Ipsos interviewed 1,745 registered voters and 1,490 likely voters for four days after the Oct. 3 debate.    
The results showed 47 percent of Americans would vote for Obama while 45 percent said they would vote for Romney if the elections were held at the time of the poll.
The first of the presidential debates showed signs of progress for Romney, who saw a six point gain in approval ratings.
Paul Wilson, associate professor of history, said, “It was a big win for Romney.”  
According to the poll, 56 percent of registered voters thought Romney was the better candidate at the debate because of his new and aggressive ideas, and 28 percent said the debate made them feel more positive about Romney.  
The first debate dealt with issues of domestic policy and the candidates discussed the White House’s economic record with regards to past presidential administrations, Obama’s administration and what future administrations can do to help the struggling economy.
Rusty Thysell, professor of government, said this first debate was important for both candidates, but Romney had something to prove.  
“For Romney it was do or die,” Thysell said.  “He had to make a good impression.”    
Wilson said, “Romney showed a more moderate side and moved away from some of the specific positions that appeal strictly to the conservative base.”   
Obama’s approach to the debate was more presidential, and it may not have been the best option for him, Thysell said.  
“Obama can’t afford another debate like that,” Thysell said.  “The polls are starting to narrow now because more and more people are making up their minds.”   
After the debate, the United States Department of Labor Statistics released the unemployment rate for September, which was down to 7.8 percent from 8.1 percent in August.  While unemployment reached its peak at 10 percent in Oct. 2009, unemployment is now the lowest it has been since President Obama took office.
Although the 0.8 percent lower rate is good news for the Obama Administration, there is still progress to be made, and Julia Clark, Ipsos pollster, said it might not have a large impact on voter’s decisions.  
“Americans don’t change their views on how things are doing economically based on jobs numbers,” Clark said.  “But focus on their personal experience.”
Political scientists argue that political debates do not effect the election, but Wilson said the most recent debate and changes in the polls has impacted both candidates.  
“It shows the election is still volatile,” Wilson said.  “It can also show that people are looking for a reason not to vote for the President.”   
With Election Day on Nov. 6, the presidential nominees have time to persuade their audience with two more debates scheduled for this month.  46 percent of people who watched the debate would watch the next debate.  
The next debate scheduled for tonight at 8 p.m. will feature Vice President Joe Biden and Congressman Paul Ryan and will cover each candidate’s views on foreign and domestic policies.
The presidential debates will resume with President Barack Obama and Republican Nominee Mitt Romney on Oct. 16 and Oct. 22.