Depression Day raises awareness

Because nearly half of all college students report feeling depressed at some point in their college career, the Nicholls Counseling Center will offer students a free screening opportunity for depression in honor of National Depression Screening Day.  
“Social stigma, confusion, and lack of knowledge of the resources available to them prevent many students from learning about mental health disorders and seeking out the help they need,” Douglas G. Jacobs, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and founder of National Depression Screening Day, said.  “An anonymous screening is a key first step in feeling better.”
According to data from the fall 2011 National College Health Assessment from the American College Health Association, 30 percent of students reported feeling so depressed they could not function and nearly 50 percent felt overwhelming anxiety.   
College is a vulnerable time since stress is a common thing in a student’s life. Financial aid, social decisions, grades and dealing with professors are common triggers of major stress, which often leads to situational depression.
Many college students are faced with situational depression, which consists of short-term feelings brought on by circumstances such as breakups, failing a test or weight gain, on a fairly regular basis, according to mentalhealthscreening.org.
Michele Caruso, director of University Counseling Center, said clinical depression is a drastic long-term mood change that affects every area of an individual’s life. To be diagnosed with clinical depression, someone must have constant feelings that negatively alter their mood for a minimum of two weeks.
Feeling sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, lonely, guilty, worthless, helpless, irritable or restless can be related to depression. These feelings can cause students to do things they would not do on a normal basis such as losing interest in socialization, sleeping in class, neglecting hygiene, making poor grades, and emotionally reacting to things taught in class.
The National Institute of Mental Health stated depression can destroy a student’s academic performance. If someone feels they might be depressed, there is no shame in seeking help, Caruso said.  She added it is better to receive help before the feelings become more severe.
College students who suffer from depression are more likely to smoke and make other unhealthy choices, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Students who suffer from depression may not drink more alcohol than other students, but they are more likely to drink with the intent to get drunk.
Dr. Caruso said students can help prevent and control depression by participating in frequent exercise. Exercise has a major impact on a person physically and mentally. The brain releases endorphins during physical exercise, which act as a natural mood booster.
Although exercise can help control and prevent depression, sometimes anti-depressant medication is needed.  Dr. Caruso said talk therapy sessions and taking an anti-depressant drug is often the most effective treatment for clinical depression.
National Depression Screening Day, which is today, will be held on Oct. 17 at Nicholls because of Homecoming activities this week.  The Nicholls Counseling Center will acknowledge National Depression Screening Day with free screenings in the Union.  A table will be set up from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. to direct students to a private room where a counselor will administer the screening test.  
Students can also take a free, anonymous online screening at www.CollegeResponse.org in addition to the event on Oct. 17.  Once a student completes the screening online, they receive immediate results.  
Anyone who scores positive with symptoms of depression is encouraged to follow-up with a health care provider or contact the University Counseling Center.  
Caruso said students who are seeking help have a safe and confidential place us in Elkins Hall, room 224.
“Don’t be scared to ask for help; we are here for you,” Caruso said.  “There is nothing to be ashamed of about asking for help with a mental issue.”