Colonels’ game against Lions sold out

Colonel fans who hope to attend the Nicholls-Southeastern game Saturday are likely to be out of luck without a ticket.Due to a lack of seating in 7,408-capacity Strawberry Stadium, only 200 tickets were given to the Colonels to sell for the game.

As of press time the game was sold out, and no more tickets were available to buy from either university.

Entering the game, the Colonels are ranked No. 25 in the nation in Division I-AA at 4-3 overall and 3-1 in the Southland Conference. The Lions are 3-5 overall and 2-3 in the Southland Conference.

The Lions are No. 2 in the conference in passing offense with 2,123 yards, while the Colonels are No. 2 in passing defense.

The Colonels rank No. 1 overall in rushing offense with 2,599 yards, but the Lions are No. 2 in the conference in scoring defense.

Head football coach Jay Thomas said the Lions’ offense is efficient in every aspect of the game.

“They throw the ball around better than anyone I’ve seen,” Thomas said. “They have great receivers, a great offensive line and a capable running back, which is where they get you.”

Saturday’s game is the first time since the two teams were in the Gulf Star Conference in 1985 that the two schools have played each other.

The all-time series is tied 7-7 with the Colonels winning the last five in a row against the Lions. The last time the two teams met, the Colonels came out of Hammond with a 21-17 victory on Nov. 23, 1985.

Thomas said his team understands the importance of this game to the Nicholls community.

“I’ve gotten so many phone calls from ex-football players talking about how much this game meant to them back then,” Thomas said. “We’ve been giving our guys the background of this game and telling them how much this game meant to both schools.”

Thomas added that the game was so big at one time that it was played in the Superdome.

Both universities have already taken steps to renew the rivalry that was once known as the “River Bell Classic.” Damian Breaux, Student Government Association president, updated the trophy for the rivalry.

“The old trophy looked kind of cheesy so we updated it and added new game plaques to go along with the old plaques,” Breaux said. “Both I and SLU SGA President Paul Donaldson signed a proclamation to renew the rivalry and that should be accepted this week.”

The losing school’s SGA president must sing the fight song and alma mater at the next gathering.

Game time is set for 6 p.m. in Strawberry Stadium.