Nicholls student, ‘DJ Q,’ disc jockeys at Thibodaux club

It is the weekend. Crowds of college students are crammed in The Library, but not to study or read books. The only thing that this “library” and any other average library have in common is college students. The room is dark; the busy bar is the only source of light. Some girls and boys are dancing, and some are just bobbing their heads. Either way, the music that fills the air is causing the crowd to move all because of 26-year-old Quinn Landry, also known as DJ Q.Landry, mass communication junior from Luling, has been a disc jockey since he was 12 years old. He did not always enjoy his job.

“I really didn’t want to become a DJ,” Landry says.

When Landry was in seventh grade, he and his friend Stephen would attend dances held once a month at a local country club. Stephen expressed interest in becoming a DJ.

“He (Stephen) wanted to give the DJs our names and numbers,” Landry says. “I didn’t want to.”

The DJ ended up calling Landry and said that if Landry was interested, he could work something out for him.

“I hated it,” Landry says. “The first couple of times I went (to DJ), I thought it was dumb. All I was doing was moving equipment around.”

Landry was what he called a “roadie” at the time, but now he is managing the same company he began his career with, Impulse.

“The company was pretty much handed down to me in a way,” Landry says. “It’s basically mine. It’s been like this for about five years now.”

Contrary to Landry’s initial feelings about DJing, he now enjoys it. He realized that with the music he plays he can control the atmosphere.

“I can make so many people do what I want them to do according to what I play,” Landry says. “Before I put a song on, I know exactly what it’s going to do to the crowd.”

But it is no power issue, Landry says. He thinks it is fun being in front of a large amount of people knowing that he can, in a way, control them.

“It’s a good feeling,” Landry says. “It took me a lot to grow into it, but after I started DJing forwhile, I thought it was pretty cool.”

Landry does not like many songs, but that means nothing. He also has no favorites to play. Landry has to read the crowd to find out what everyone wants to hear and make sure that they are all having a good time.

“I think certain songs are going to get a big reaction and, sure enough, the people just go ballistic,” Landry says. “My object is to keep them on the floor the whole time and to keep them dancing. I just want to keep them partying all night. That’s what I’m there for.”

Landry considers many other DJs to have fancy names, but Landry wanted to keep his simple.

“Apparently every DJ needs something,” Landry says. “Q-Quinn. I just stayed with that.”

Landry attended Nicholls in 1998 and then had the opportunity to attend another school a year and a half ago. After realizing that he did not like it, he returned to Nicholls. He would rather not speak of the other school he attended because he says he did not like it at all.

“It just wasn’t the same,” Landry says. “Nicholls is like a close family. I like it a lot more here, and I’m having the best time ever now that I’m back in Thibodaux at The Library.”

Landry thinks he has met many interesting people while he has DJed at various places. Mariah Carey, U2 and the Quad City DJ’s are among the list of famous individuals he has met in the past. He has also done work three times for Mantra Films, Inc., popularly known as Girls Gone Wild.

“I was so excited the first time,” Landry says. “After that I don’t think I’ve ever not wanted to see boobs as much as I did then. There were way too many boobs.”

The excitement of DJing is what he says keeps him from letting go of his job.

“You never know what’s going to happen next,” Landry says.

It is 2 a.m. The party is over, and everyone is headed out of The Library to find another place to go.

“I wish it could go on longer,” Landry says.