Nicholls choir performs concerts through year

Walk around Talbot Hall long enough and you can hear the sounds of the Nicholls’ Concert Choir singing selections ranging from Handel to Brahms. Choir is offered as a regular class and is open to all majors. The class meets three times a week and culminates in a musical performance at the end of each semester, a Christmas concert in the fall and another concert in the spring.

This semester they have also sung the Alma Mater at Welcome Back Day and performed patriotic songs for the evacuees. The choir also performs in front of Talbot Hall during the Nicholls Jubilee Celebration in the spring semester.

Carol Britt, director of the school of fine arts, said students not only learn how to use and improve their voices, but also how to protect their voices.

“We do not just teach the students how to sing,” Britt said. “We also teach them how to take care of their voice. They also learn about diction and how to pronounce foreign languages.”

Sarah Voisin, vocal music junior from Houma and choir president, said choir has helped her expand her vocal abilities.

“It has really challenged me as a musician to not just sing the melody line,” Voisin said. “I have to truly be able to sing intervals.”

Anke Tonn, interlibrary loan librarian, has been a member of the choir since she arrived at Nicholls in 1996.

“The class is during my lunchtime,” Tonn says. “So I say I’d rather sing than eat.”

This year’s Christmas concert will be held on Nov. 29 at 7:30 p.m. in Talbot Theater. Admission will be free. The choir will be performing a variety of secular and sacred selections.

“Some will be familiar to the audience, and some will not be,” Britt said. “But it will all be good entertaining music.”

Britt said she is especially excited about a funny selection titled “Christmas in About Three Minutes,” which includes 27 different Christmas songs.

“It is a challenge to sing because you get kind of confused,” Britt said. “About the time the audience realizes the song, we are already on the next one.”

Nicholls hosts choir festivals for area high schools. Britt said many former choir members now teach at local schools that attend the festivals.

“They can be found up and down the bayou,” Britt said. “They teach both band and choir. Many have also set up private teaching studios.