Benson’s behavior, post-game actions unsaintly, inappropriate

The Benson Boogie, a dance we’ve grown to love after every Saints win-yes I said Saints win-is now in danger of leaving along with the Saints as talks about a move to San Antonio or Los Angeles ensue.I must admit I am a Saints fan. Over the last few years, the talks about a move to another city have gone in one ear and out the other until now, when the “there’s no way that can happen” attitude has suddenly turned into a “well, maybe they will leave” attitude.

Over the last 20 years of my life, I have sat in front of the television watching and even cheering for what once was my beloved New Orleans Saints. Now I find myself clinging to any hope that the Saints will still be in New Orleans.

The more I hear local news stations and even ESPN talk about the Saints, the more I tend to care less and less about Benson and his whining.

It seems that he is finding a way out of New Orleans at any cost, but in all actuality all he’s doing is losing respect.

All I could do was laugh whenever Benson said the Saints training facility was in bad shape as video footage later proved that wrong.

I believe if he wants to leave, then why make excuses? Just pack up your little umbrella and go, because Louisiana doesn’t want Benson anymore.

The way he is approaching this situation can only hurt his image, as I believe he’s going to end up shooting himself in the foot.

As far as the mayor of San Antonio, he is acting just as heartless as Benson. Sure, I can understand that San Antonio wants a NFL team, but why put Louisiana through this now after the devastation from the hurricanes? I don’t know why it took a storm for other cities to step in and take our sports teams. I guess they wanted to kick us while many were already down.

What Benson doesn’t realize is the number of Saints fans who bleed black and gold. Sure there was always the lack of attendance, but when you make the playoffs once every 32 years, what more would you expect?

What he should really focus on is the number of fans who sat in front of their television-myself included-watching the game. It shouldn’t take an attendance factor to determine the support of your team.

Take Sunday’s game against the Dolphins, for instance. A crowd of 60,000 fans filled Tiger Stadium three-quarters of the way to watch the (then) 2-5 Saints play. If that’s not enough to show support for a sub-par franchise, then I agree with Ray Nagin’s comments when he said they couldn’t have our logo and colors. If the Saints want to move to San Antonio then they should let us name them. Personally, I think the San Antonio Thieves, or East Texas Wahoos would suit the team just fine.

Now with the season nearing its midway point, I guess we all have to play the waiting game.

If I were a member of the Saints, I’d refuse to play for Benson if he moved the team. If San Antonio wants a team in the worst way, then they should get exactly that.

In the end, we all hope it’ll be Benson doing his boogie on the way out, with the rest of the Saints slamming the door behind him.