Academic success students rewarded for achievements

Students who have become successful with the help of the Academic Success program were recognized Tuesday on the right lawn of the library. The awards given are excellence, academic achievement and counselor awards for students. Awards will also given to students who did were in English, mathematics and academic skills. There were be coordinator awards in English and mathematics for tutors. The purpose of this was to honor the students who have done well in the 2004-2005 school year. This has been done every year for the past six years.

“We have sent invitations out to all the administration and others. Students have been able to become successful through the help of the program and the desire to be successful in college,” Betty Elfert, director of Academic Success, said.

The program has serviced approximately 480 students. It will be closing on Nov. 30 due to lack of funding. The program was funded through TRIO, which is part of a student support grant.The program was not funded again by the United States Department of Education.

University College has established an academic advising center and other services to assist students to help them with scheduling. This program will be replacing Academic Success.