FBI agent discusses opportunities

Sidney+Reed%2C+special+agent+and+applicant+coordinator+for+the+Federal+Bureau+of+Investigation%2C+goes+through+the+special+agent+applicant+process+with+students+Monday+in+Powell+Auditorium.+
Sidney Reed, special agent and applicant coordinator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation, goes through the special agent applicant process with students Monday in Powell Auditorium.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Sidney Reed paid a visit to the University to talk to students about jobs in the FBI Monday.

Reed was invited by Stephanie Merrell, faculty adviser for the Accounting Club and Beta Alpha Psi, to come and speak to students about a job as an agent for the FBI and jobs in the professional staff positions. He was invited to Merrell’s Accounting Information Systems 351 class, but anyone was able to listen in on the speech.

“Students asked if he could come out and speak on how accountants and other professionals are utilized in the FBI,” Merrell said.

The FBI hires professionals of all fields. This includes doctors, nurses, mechanics, accountants, paralegals, engineers, chemists and even theater majors.

“Employment for the FBI is considered the gumbo pot of university careers,” Reed said.

When students hear FBI, the one thing they relate to it is a badge and gun, Reed said. The FBI is more than that. The Bureau does not just hire for the field, they also hire for the training academies. Librarians are amongst the professions hired for these academies. Currently there are four positions available in the FBI in New Orleans.

For professionals who want to be a part of the FBI but do not want to put bad guys behind bars, there are the positions that assist behind closed doors, Reed said. With his visit, Reed hopes that students have a different perspective on the FBI.

“Even if the students that heard the speech do not want to pursue a career in the FBI, there may be someone in their circle of influence that might want a change in their career,” Reed said.

“For students who wish to pursue a career in FBI,” Reed said, “first look at the disqualifiers and make sure you do not fall into that category.”

“Second is to develop people skills orally and written,” Reed said.

“Third, when you apply for the FBI, disclose all information asked for the first time around,” Reed said.

“The FBI is an organization that does not look for perfect people,” Reed said.

Reed has been a part of the FBI for 15 years. He currently works at the New Orleans Division of the FBI.

“I really enjoy what I do and the contributions I make to the United States,” Reed said.

Reed wanted to be an FBI agent when he met one at a career fair.

“When I met him, it planted a seed for me to apply,” Reed said.

An agent is required to have at least a bachelor’s degree. Reed attended Auburn University where he received his bachelor’s degree.

Heather Hunter, accounting junior, from Houma said, “he (Reed) was a very good speaker and kept me interested from start to finish.”

“I learned that you don’t have to have a badge and gun to be in the FBI,” Hunter said.