Tuition proposed to increase 4 percent for fall

Upon the signature of approval by Gov. Kathleen Blanco, Nicholls full-time students will pay an additional $60 in tuition, a 4 percent increase, for an “operational fee.” This is in addition to the 3 percent tuition increase of $45 that was approved by the legislature in March. The increase would go into effect for the upcoming fall semester.The 4 percent tuition increase proposal was attached to a medical tuition increase bill in the closing days of the legislative sessions to help Louisiana’s higher education institutions avoid a nearly $18 million funding shortfall.

“The operational fee would basically be used to provide funding to address the shortfall in mandated state cost increases in retirement contributions, insurance and other mandated state increases,” Michael Naquin, assistant vice president for business affairs and financial services, said.

Tuition Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS), which does cover the 3 percent increase, would not cover the 4 percent increase. Naquin said there will be a hardship waiver available to students who qualify, however students will have to apply for the waiver whereas previously it was given automatically. He said students will receive a letter discussing hardship waiver qualifications and online schedule information over the summer.

“Because both our state appropriations and our tuition are low compared to much of the rest of the country, Louisiana’s total financial support per student for public colleges and universities ranks 47th in the nation,” Joseph Savoie, Commissioner of Higher Education, said in a Board of Regents press release. “We believe this fee will not provide an undue burden on our students, who enjoy some of the lowest tuition in the country, and that it will help ensure that our colleges and universities continue to provide the level of service that students deserve.”

The 3 percent tuition increase is anticipated to bring in an additional $603,500 to Nicholls, Naquin said. However, in the University’s budget proposal, more than $500,000 additional dollars have been budgeted for items such as utilities, maintenance contracts, scholarships and fee exemptions.

“Most of the additional money has already been accounted for to cover costs that continue to go up and that does not even account for additional accreditation costs,” Naquin said. “The 4 percent increase was just as critical.