New changes coming to campus bookstore

After this summer the 1960’s look of the bookstore will be no more. Bollinger Memorial Student Union is making changes to meet fire code and the next project on the list is the University Bookstore.

Brenda Haskins, Executive Director of Auxiliary Services, said she has been working at Nicholls for 24 years and to her knowledge there has never been any type of renovation done to the bookstore.

The university and Barnes and Noble will work together to pay for the renovations being done to the bookstore, Haskins said. The renovations will be done through a contractor that Barnes and Noble frequently uses, and the cost will be about $400,000.

Even though Haskins said she has not seen the plans yet, they should include new lighting, fixtures, and cashier stations. There will also be a new arrangement of the bookstore.

“We want it to look like a modern retail store,” Haskins said.

Haskins said students are used to walking into stores that are attractive.

“We want the bookstore to be a great place for the students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community to shop,” Haskins said.

Haskins said textbooks will be set out in the store only at the beginning of each semester, and the area where textbooks are now will be used for other merchandise such as clothing and accessories.

There will also be a new traffic pattern through the store, Haskins said. She said she thinks the students will really like that.

Haskins said even though renovations to the bookstore will begin in the summer, the bookstore will be opened throughout the entire renovation.

“The renovations should not interrupt the selling of books for summer classes,” Haskins said.

Alice Chatagnier, Barnes and Noble bookseller, said she is looking forward to the new electronics, flow of traffic and cashier stations.

Chatagnier also said the new plans are supposed to include a seating area with reading materials for students.

Chatagnier, along with other members of the bookstore staff, said they are looking forward to the bookstore being updated and fresh, and the staff is ready for a complete facelift.

Haskins said the bookstore renovations are scheduled to be complete before the beginning of the fall semester.

“It’ll be nice for students to come back in the fall and be wowed by the new, modern look,” Haskins said.

Haskins said the University has done a lot with the Union, including new furniture and paint, but more updates will be made.

Twelve computer stations will be added that students can just walk up to and use, Haskins said.

“We are trying to make the Union more modern for the students,” Haskins said.