Conference targets writers, readers at Houma library

For some people, writing is a passion, and reading is inspirational. A person who may want to make writing a career might not know how to enter the business, but the Annual Nicholls Jubilee Jambalaya Writers’ Conference can help.

The writers’ conference will be April 14 at the Terrebonne Parish Main Library in Houma from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The conference also spotlights some Nicholls faculty as well. John Doucet, professor of biological sciences; David Middleton, department head of languages and literature and Jean-Mark Sens, assistant librarian in the Ellender Memorial Library, will all be speaking at the conference.

The conference targets people who want to get into the market and have a true love for writing, according to Mary Bolden, owner of Bent Pages Bookstore in Houma.

Bolden said the conference is not just for writers, but also for readers as well.

“People who love to read may find the conference interesting because they get a glimpse into how authors come up with the stories,” Bolden said.

The conference will be separated into sessions to fit the interest of different types of writers, according to Jackie Jackson, professor of languages and literature.

“There will be lectures on fiction, nonfiction, screenwriting, poetry, one-act dramas and writing for television and radio,” Jackson said. “You can pick which presentations to attend to fit your interests.”

There will also be a time for participants to have the first page of their work critiqued, Jackson said.

“Bring your stuff,” Jackson said. “The critique will help show if your writings are on the right track to be published.”

Along with events is a keynote lecture by Rosemary Laurey, award-winning author of suspense and paranormal books.

Harold Sylvester, television actor and screenwriter, will hold a workshop on screenwriting. Writer, editor and marketing consultant Susan Sipal and literary agent Pam Ahern will conduct a workshop called “Writing with Magic (for Muggles).”

Agents and publishers such as Kate Duffy, senior editor for Kensington Magazine; Jenna Johnson, Harcourt editor and John Ware from John A. Ware literary agency will be at the conference to speak with participants.

Bent Pages Bookstore will be coordinating the book fair and author signings during the conference. A percentage of the sales go to the Friends of the Terrebonne Public Library.