A “how-to” for bracketing: from March Madness to American Idol

As we start the final stretch of the spring semester, I have some thoughts on things going on in the sports world that have caught my eye. Instead of picking brackets next year for March Madness, I think I’ll start the American Idol bracket pool. People will be able to determine the next American Idol, rather than the national champion.

Apparently, choosing Texas as a final four team on some of my brackets was like saying Sanjaya Malakar would be kicked off after the first week of competition. Both wrong on my part.

But keeping with the theme, the Melinda Doolittle of the tournament this year: Georgetown. Like the former background singer, Georgetown isn’t the flashiest team in the tournament, but is seemingly everybody’s pick to get to the final game and possibly win it.

The Lakisha Jones is obviously Florida. The team with the core of last year’s 2006 title team is under the brightest spotlight with four players returning on the squad. However, with a bullseye the size of Texas on your back, it will be hard to be the first team since Duke to win back-to-back national championships.

There will be no basketball team correlation with Malakar though; there is no team on this planet that is as bad as this guy.

For the viral video guru’s out there, the next time you happen to surf for funny videos online, go and check out one of Arkansas Razorback baseball player Brian Walker fake getting hit by a pitch.

Apparently, after five minutes of agonizing about his elbow, he proceeded to strike out swinging, point his bat at the umpire, with said hurt elbow and throw his helmet violently with his right hand, the hand attached to the same elbow.

I guess this guy’s favorite movie must be Titanic, because I don’t think there was a worse acting job than this guy during thegame. At least this scene was only about seven minutes in length instead of three hours. And it was a lot funnier than a boat hitting an iceberg, capsizing then sinking.

I still really do not care about the start of the baseball season. Right now, baseball and hockey are fighting NASCAR for the last sport people actually care about watching behind the NBA, College Football and NFL.

Lastly, is there any better time to be an LSU fan or alum? You have a men’s basketball team that was a total disappointment, a women’s basketball team that may be doing well in the women’s tournament – but is surrounded by sexual misconduct controversy – and a baseball team not reminiscent of Tiger teams of old.

The one good thing going for LSU is its nationally ranked softball team. But who needs that when Nicholls has a softball team that is tops in the Southland.

Tennis is also doing well, and baseball is making gradual steps to compete in the conference. For once, Nicholls isn’t the laughing stock of the sports world, and hopefully the trend will continue.