Renovated side of cafeteria will be revealed Sunday

Vernon F. Galliano Cafeteria’s Aug. 1 renovation deadline is on schedule, and there are plans to start moving in by the end of next week. Brenda Haskins, executive director of Auxiliary Services, said the new equipment for the cafeteria started to arrive Monday. Starting next week health inspectors and the fire marshall will inspect the building, Haskins said. She also said the contractor will walk through with the architect, and final touches will be made.

“We are on schedule and are looking to swap over on April 1,” Michael Davis, Assistant Vice President of Administration, said.

Davis said when the new side of the cafeteria is ready for service, there will be signs to direct students to the Madewood Drive entrance.

The side that has already been renovated is nearly complete, Haskins said. She said the furniture will not be put into the cafeteria until the renovations are completely done.

“We want them to see things that are different and complete when we are done on Aug. 1,” Haskins said.

After the move into the newly renovated section, work will start on the section of the cafeteria currently being used, Haskins said.

Once the cafeteria is completed in August, specialized serving areas will replace the current arrangement of the cafeteria. Each serving area will have its own theme, such as a pizza area, pasta station, Euro-station, international station, deli area, grill, salad bar, soup station, waffle machines and dessert area, Haskins said.

Haskins said the Euro-station will include a hot plate buffet, and the meal will look like a catered item. She said the deli will have both hot and cold sandwiches and a double penne grill. Meals from the grill will be served in a basket with paper like “old-time” restaurants, Haskins said.

Haskins said the students will be able to choose the foods they want to eat and will be able to see the foods cooked in front of them. She said she hopes this aspect will help enhance the relationship between the food service workers and the students.

Another new feature of the cafeteria will be the beverage stations placed throughout the cafeteria for easy refills, Haskins said.

The front of the cafeteria will be extended to the sidewalk and will include a walkway to Bollinger Memorial Student Union, Haskins said. The patio will have a seating and gathering place for students, faculty and staff, Davis said.

Another new feature of the cafeteria will be the restrooms that will be renovated to meet disability codes, Haskins said.

The newly designed cafeteria will accommodate about 540 students, Haskins said.

Davis said the cost for architect fees and bringing the cafeteria into code will be $5.2 million.

The new kitchen equipment has cost $900,000, and the rest has been used for construction, Haskins said. When complete, the kitchen will be air conditioned, something that was not the case in the past, Haskins said.

The renovated side of Galliano Cafeteria is set to be revealed April 1. (Ashley Falterman)