Students look forward to Greek Week

When those large letters go up in front of Polk Hall, either it is time for rush or Greek Week. Since it is the end of a semester, it is definitely time for Greek Week. Greek Week is the time for all the campus sororities and fraternities to get together for some fun and friendly competition.

This year is no different and the excitement of the week’s events cannot help but to be noticed.

“Greek Week is a time for all of the Greeks to get together and to show the rest of the school who we are and that we are here,” Rudy Thibodaux, petroleum services senior from Marrero and Tao Kappa Epsilon member, said.

The Greek Week events are not just for fun, but for competition as well, Shantelle St. Pierre, nursing junior from Thibodaux and Delta Zeta member, said.

“Greek Week is a really fun time with friendly competition,” St. Pierre said.

Songfest is among the popular events of Greek Week. Songfest is scheduled for Saturday and will feature participating Greeks singing, dancing and acting.

“Songfest is great,” Carrie Savoie, family and consumer sciences junior from Baton Rouge and Phi Mu member, said. “Greeks show their different personalities with their acts.”

The pirogue races is also a popular event during Greek Week. The pirogue races are fun to watch, David Stoller, history sophomore from Thibodaux and Theta Zi member, said.

“It’s great because everyone is goofing off,” Stoller said.

This is their first Greek Week for some participants. Tiona Richardson, allied health junior from Thibodaux and Alpha Sigma Theta member, said the event will be an adventure.

“I am very excited about Greek Week,” Richardson said. “I am really looking forward to hanging out with all the Greeks.”

The new fraternity on campus, Kappa Sigma, is having their first Greek Week. Ryan Rodrigue, business management senior from Thibodaux and Kappa Sigma president, said everything is “so far, so good.”

Rodrigue said it has been a little difficult to focus on Greek Week because Kappa Sigma is moving from colony status to chapter status Saturday. Even though the fraternity is a little distracted, Rodrigue said the Kappa Sigmas are excited about participating.

“The guys are looking forward to Greek Week because it is a time to meet with and hang out socially with the other Greeks,” Rodrigue said.

Greek Week concludes with an alumni reception and Greek Week awards banquet. During the banquet, the 2007 Greek God and Goddess will be announced.

Lee Daigle, Nicholls alumnus and 2006 Greek God, said it was an honor to be chosen for the title, especially during his first year in Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

“It was a true rags to riches story,” Daigle said. “Lifetime called, but I was like, ‘I’m busy.'”

All jokes aside, he said, it was a humbling experience.