Renovations to Beauregard Hall to begin next year

Architects have begun the design phase for a state-funded, $14 million renovation of Beauregard Hall, and construction is projected to begin in May 2008, Mike Davis, assistant vice president for administration, said. Built in 1963, Beauregard is energy-inefficient and its classroom space is poorly utilized, Davis said. In addition, the electrical system has reached its full capacity, and the science labs are in need of new equipment and redesigning.

“When [the renovations] are finished, we will have a completely state-of-the-art, up-to-date modern science building that we’ll all be proud of,” Davis said. “Right now it’s a bit of an embarrassment.”

Representatives from the architectural firm of Crump Wilson and Associates of Baton Rouge, the firm the state hired for the project, have been meeting with faculty and department heads to determine the logistics of the labs, Davis said.

The renovation would relocate the science labs in Peltier Hall to Beauregard, which would confine the physical science labs to one building. Badiollah Asrabadi, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said the relocation of the labs would better utilize space and would save students traveling time in between classes.

Davis said the University is considering closing Beauregard for the duration of the renovations. In order to make accommodations, Beauregard lab classes would be held in Peltier if the building’s labs meet requirements. The University is also investigating the possibility of holding classes at alternate times in other buildings.

Comparison to partially operating the building during renovations, Davis said closing Beauregard would be easier to manage and make the process faster.

“The best way to do this is to close the whole building down,” Davis said. “We now have to determine, ‘Can we still function? Can we still provide the services the students need at a time they can take them?'”

The University had initially made a request in 1983 to the Board of Regents that the state make the renovation of Beauregard a priority among state-funded projects, Davis said. All proposed university projects must ultimately be prioritized by the Board of Supervisors, and the state legislature determines the financial specifics.