Greeks unite, annual Songfest moves to Friday

The Nicholls Greek community will gather April 22 through April 29 to celebrate their annual Greek Week which will raise money to raise awareness for meningitis. Panhellenic Council President Janee Rogers and communicative disorders sophomore from Cut Off, said Greek Week is an annual event that brings Greeks together for unity to compete for awards.

Greeks participate in events throughout the week such as pirogue races, quiz bowl, relays and goofy games, Rogers said.

One of the new events for this year is the quiz bowl which will bring academics into the competition, Rogers said. Chariot races will be brought back to Greek Week this year.

Interfraternity Council President Alex Ludwig, mass communication junior from Houma, said this year Songfest was moved from Monday to Friday.

“This makes Songfest the capstone for Greek Week,” Ludwig said.

Songfest, which is open to the public at 7p.m. in Peltier Auditorium on Friday, April 27, was moved to the end of the week to bring more unity rather than competition amongst the groups, Rogers said.

Another change to Greek Week this year is the decrease in points earned for each event, Rogers said. The lower points will help the groups come together, which is our main goal.

Also, the Greek Banquet was moved to Sunday this year. During the Greek Banquet several awards are given out including the Greek Cup, IFC man of the Year, IFC Athlete of the Year, NPC Leadership, NPC Scholarship and NPC Community Service.

The Greek Cup is given to the chapter that exceeded in leadership, community service, athletics and scholarship.

IFC Man of the Year is awarded to a member who is in good standing and is nominated during the meeting.

NPC Leadership is awarded to the chapter who is most involved in co-curricular activities on campus.

NPC Scholarship Award is given to the chapter who shows outstanding scholastic achievement for spring 2006 and fall 2006.

NPC Community Service is given to the chapter with the most service hours to the community for the year since last Greek Week of March 13 through March 18, 2006.

Awards for first, second and third places are also given for each competition event that the groups participate in.

The sorority with the most event points at the end of the week is awarded the Overall Spirit Award.

The philanthropy for this year is meningitis awareness. To attend Songfest, non-Greeks will be charged $5. Penny wars and general donations will also be used to raise money.