Colonels battle for paddle against Bobcats

The Nicholls State Colonels and No. 9 ranked Texas State Bobcats renew their rivalry Saturday night for homecoming in the game declared the “Battle for the Paddle.”Saturday night’s game is the 24th time in history that the Colonels and Bobcats play each other with the Colonels leading the overall series 12-11.

The “Battle for the Paddle,” which was won last year by Texas State, began in 1998 under the reign of then Colonels head coach Darren Barbier. It was the idea of Mike Schmidt, also known as the first-down man. After having to reschedule a game in 1998 due to flooding in the San Marcos, Texas area, the paddle was dedicated to the memory of all area residents who lost homes in the flood.

On one side of the paddle is the maroon and gold of Texas State, and on the other side, the red and gray of Nicholls State. The scores of every game since 1998 are on the paddle under the winner’s name.

Last season, the Bobcats defeated the Colonels, winning the paddle back 35-12. Prior to that the Colonels held the paddle for three consecutive seasons. Head football coach Jay Thomas said he’s looking forward to winning the paddle back.

“Last year they almost ran me over running to the sideline to get the paddle,” Thomas said. “We want that paddle back. Hopefully Saturday we can be the ones running over to their sideline.”

Since 1998 the Bobcats are 4-3 against the Colonels but have not beaten the Colonels in Thibodaux since 1999. Overall, the Colonels are 7-4 at home against the Bobcats.

The Bobcats return nine offensive starters and 10 defensive starters from a year ago. Thomas said that beating Texas State this year will be a challenge.

“They are not just a good team; they’re a real good team,” Thomas said. “In fact, they are the top dog in the Southland Conference right now. When you can play Texas A&M play-for-play like they did, then you know you have to be good.”

Leading the Bobcats on offense is quarterback Barrick Nealy. Not only has Nealy passed for 1,346 yards this season, he also leads the team in rushing with 515 yards with eight touchdowns. Containing Nealy will be the key to the Colonels’ success.

“He makes their offense tick,” defensive coordinator Charles Kelly said. “He’s probably one of the better quarterbacks in the country at any level. We can’t give up the big plays.”

Kelly added, “We’re going to have to do a good job of keeping them off balance.”

Thomas said it’s up to the defense to step up and make plays.

“It’s going to take our best effort on defense,” Thomas said. “We have to contain Nealy and be successful setting our defense up when they throw or run the ball.”

Entering the game the Bobcats stand-alone in first place at 6-1 overall and 2-0 in the Southland Conference. The Colonels are tied for third in the conference at 2-3 overall and 1-1 in the Southland Conference.

Game time is set for 6:30 p.m. in Guidry Stadium and will cap off the homecoming festivities that have been going on all week.