NSU Foundation sponsors food, wine tasting banquet

The 10th annual NSU Foundation Food and Wine Extravaganza raised more than $40,000 Oct. 19.The stand-up event had food booths from restaurants, and caterers and drink stations, as well as wine and beer stations.

There were approximately 850 tickets sold to supporters and friends of the University and faculty and staff.

The money raised from this event will be used for and to support scholarships. Some of the money goes to the book scholarships. About $187,000 worth of book vouchers were distributed to approximately 530 students who were affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

There are 21 Sponsor A+ Scholar Program scholarship recipients for 2005 from 14 Louisiana high schools. Nicholls awards the A+ scholarship to students who have demonstrated both leadership and academic potential in high school.

For the first time ever, there was a professional auctioneer to run the live auction. The event hosted both a live and a silent auction. Opening bids for the live auction ranged from $100 to $400. Opening bids for the silent auction ranged from $10 to $150.

“We had a very good evening,” David Boudreaux, vice president for institutional advancement, said.

Participants at the event had to be over the age of 21. There were three different forms of sponsors for the event, gold sponsors, co-sponsors, and honorary sponsors.

Gold sponsors put up $500 each and were given 20 tickets to the event. Co-sponsors provided the food and beverages used for the event.

For the first time, the event had honorary gold and co-sponsors. These honorary sponsors are people who, in the past, have always participated in the event, but because of the hurricanes, they were unable to do so.

“We truly appreciate the support that the community, the faculty, the staff and the wonderful providers of food and beverages gave us,” Boudreaux said. “And as always, we are looking forward to an even bigger and better event next year.