Who’s Next?

Voting for the next SGA President to begin this Sunday
Adam Lefort (left) and Anthony Naquin (right) are this year’s Student Government Association presidential candadates. To vote, click the “Vote Now” link on the nicholls.edu homepage starting at noon on Sunday, April 6. The polls will close on Wednesday, April 9 at 11

The Student Government Association will hold its presidential elections starting this upcoming Sunday, April 6, and students are encouraged to vote on the presidential and Mr. and Ms. Nicholls candidates along with two referendums on the ballot.
The two candidates running for SGA president are Adam Lefort and Anthony Naquin. Naquin and Lefort are both Thibodaux natives and E.D. White Alumni.
Lefort is a business management sophomore from Thibodaux and the current vice president of SGA.
Naquin is a pre-med senior from Thibodaux and has served on the SGA election commission for one year.
Lefort has also served as a freshman senator and the campus improvements chair, and he believes that this has allowed him to retain good relationships with faculty and students on campus as well as get lots of experience in SGA.
For this reason, Lefort believes that he has a very diverse group of students backing his campaign and will hopefully vote in his favor.
Naquin is vice president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, President Elect of the Nicholls Student Alumni Association, treasurer of the Honors Council, Nicholls Ambassador for the orientation team and is also serving in his third term as Interfraternity Council president.
“I feel that my involvement on campus makes me very qualified for the position of SGA president,” Naquin said. “Serving as IFC president showed me how to represent many organizations and build relationships among the students that I represent.”
According to Lefort, the first things he would accomplish as SGA president are to better the communication between students and SGA and to get students a lot more excited about athletic events.
“I would also love to preserve the old traditions of Nicholls and build up colonel pride all over campus,” Lefort said.
A goal of Lefort’s is to see more Nicholls t-shirts around campus and make people continue to come back to the University and be active in alumni affairs.
According to Naquin, there is a very big population of students without vehicles on campus that do not have immediate access to public transportation. The first thing that Naquin would implement as president is to provide public transportation at the beginning of the semester and at midterm for the international students and students without vehicles. This gives students a chance to go to the grocery store to get food and toiletries.
Lefort said, “I have been visiting with various student organizations around campus to announce my candidacy and inform them of the importance of voting for not only SGA president, but the referendums as well.
“I have worked alongside previous SGA presidents Matthew Jewell and Melissa Cloutet which has allowed me to understand what SGA really is and how things run the right way,” Lefort added.  
Naquin believes that his determination to get the job done and his professionalism while doing so makes him a good candidate for SGA president.
“The reason I decided to run was because I believe that I can be determined enough to stand up for student rights and policy,” Naquin said. “I will do everything I can to ensure all students’ voices are heard.”
Voting begins on April 6 at noon and will end on April 9.
“I am looking forward to see the turnout but no matter the outcome, I am and always will be here for the students and I put the whole student body first,” Lefort said.