Technology advances in upcoming year

Still blogging and downloading podcasts? It is time to go to the next level. 2006 is going to be filled with vlogs, mobisodes and cell phones that can swipe credit cards.A mobisode is a mobile TV episode. Now some of the highest rated television shows such as “Lost” and “Monk” can be downloaded on the newly released iPod with video capabilities. Offerings from HBO and movies-on-demand will also soon be available on iPods.

Vlogs, or video Web logs, are also beginning to make appearances on iPods. Vlogs use video as the primary content and are usually accompanied by support text and images to provide context.

Companies like Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! say they will be offering Internet phone service in the coming year.

They will provide international and long-distance phone service at fractions of previous costs. For users who place an Internet phone call to another Inter phone connection, the call is actually free. Calls to a landline are just 2.5 cents per minute.

Not to be left in the dust, Motorola will be offering two new models this year, the PEBL and the SLVR. Motorola says both phones will have instant access to news, sports and other information without having to download the files or access the Internet.

Other new cell phone features will include video, credit card swiping and global positioning.

The Consumer Electronics Association bestowed top honors to The Pioneer Inno and the Celestron SkyScout at its 2006 Consumer Electronics Show.

According to Pioneer, the Inno is a tiny handheld device that merges XM Radio with content consumers can save and buy.

It can be filled with MP3s or WMAs and has a built-in FM transmitter that can send a satellite signal to any radio.

Stock quotes, sport scores and song information can be viewed on a small video screen.

Celestron claims that its SkyScout uses GPS technology to instantly identify or locate up to 6,000 visible celestial objects.

Users simply point the 16-ounce device at a visible object in the sky, and the camcorder-sized SkyScout will provide a description of the object.

Also honored at the CES were the Scooba, a floor-washing robot and the Slingbox, which allows TiVo or DVR users to watch shows on the Internet.

And while Levi Strauss is not often thought of as an innovative company, they are dipping their toes into the technology market with their RedWire DLX jeans. The jeans have a built-in docking cradle for the iPod and retractable headphones.