Boudreaux returns to college life

Moye Boudreaux, a mass communication sophomore from Houma, does not let her nontraditional student status stop her from getting involved on campus. At 67 years old, Boudreaux is helping to organize the nontraditional student organization while pursuing a career path she has always wanted to try.

Q: Why have you decided to attend college now?

A: It has been a lifelong dream to be a journalist. Before I could not come because I had a family, kids and had to work. I also have eight grandchildren. At 64, I found the money to come to pursue my dream. I wanted to stimulate my brain so that I would not vegetate.

Q: What has piqued your interest in journalism?

A: When I was seven years old, I wrote for a column on the elementary school one-page newsletter. Q: Why did you decide to attend Nicholls?

A: It was easy for me; I’m from Houma

Q: What has been one of your most memorable college moments?

A: The first day of class I was standing in line to buy my books, and I became acquainted with a young couple that encouraged me to stay and finish. Later, the young man became my tutor.

Q: How does school fit into your daily schedule?

A: I do not have any problems with it because I am retired. I have no children at home. I needed something to do.

Q: Does being a nontraditional student make it difficult to be a student?

A: It is not really difficult. Because I was out for so long, I needed to learn how to study again.

Q: Have you ever been in college before?

A: I only took three night classes over the years starting in the early 70’s.

Q: What are you involved in at school?

A: I am in the nontraditional student organization that is trying to get more nontraditional students involved in Nicholls.

Q: Where do you find the best place to study is?

A: I like to study at St. Thomas because there are two young Vietnamese nuns that I study with there.

Q: How was your life before coming to Nicholls?

A: I had a busy life with one daughter and three stepchildren. I worked at Exxon Mobil for 24 years as a Contract Administrator. After I retired, I took care of my mother-in-law. I was also a member of the board of Terrebonne Council on Aging.

Q: What is it like going to school with your granddaughter?

A: I never see her. She is always busy, and our class schedules are very different.

Q: What are your plans after graduating?

A: I want to do some freelance writing for local newspapers and for magazines like the American Association of Retired Persons.