Non-credit course in bellydancing to start Feb. 13

What comes to mind when you hear the words scarf, tassel, flowing skirt and coin belt? Maybe a memory of a wild Friday night, but that’s not it. These items are common props and costume for the art of belly dancing, one of the oldest forms of dance, having roots in ancient cultures from the Orient. According to The International Academy of Middle Eastern Dance, one of the greatest misconceptions about belly dancing is that it is intended to entertain men. For Saudi women, the dance itself is considered to be sacred and not intended to be seen by men at all.

A non-credit belly dancing class is taught at Nicholls by Jessica Arceneaux. “I like belly dancing because it gives women the chance to spend time away from their hectic lives,” Arceneaux said. “It’s a very passive but energizing way to focus on oneself and to really get in touch with who you are as a person. It’s a fun and exciting exercise that merges the mind, body and spirit.”

While being a fun form of expression, belly dancing is also an anaerobic exercise. It tones your legs, butt and arms, as well as your obliques. In belly dancing, body weight is constantly focused on one leg and then the other leg, naturally increasing the load on the hip joint, knees and ankles in a safe way and thus strengthening them. Jana Hubbell, Nicholls graduate from Thibodaux and a coordinator in the office of student life, said that many women started the class for exercise but stuck with it because it was fun.

“It’s very much a feminine way of expressing yourself in such a world that is fast paced,” Arceneaux said.

Attire for belly dancing classes includes long flowing skirts, which allow freedom of movement while hiding a woman’s imperfections. Arceneaux said by no means does a dancer have to show her stomach if she does not want to. Fitted tops are encouraged in order to see specific movements of the waist, ribcage and chest, but they are optional.

Arceneaux said that belly dancing is about being unique and different and doing what feels right to the dancer. Belly dancing is not like other dance forms where dancers have to look alike and move as one. Belly dancing is more of a personal expression.

“I danced my whole life, and belly dancing made me feel more comfortable to be in my own body,” Arceneaux said.

Hubbell first heard about the belly dancing classes at Nicholls through continuing education E-mail sent to her student account.

“It was during the summer, and I had some free time; I thought, ‘Wow, that looks cool,’ and I called up a friend and we went that week,” Hubbell said. “It sounded interesting and different, and I danced in high school, so it was a way to start dancing again.”

Patrice Boudreaux, family and consumer sciences senior from New Roads, said her favorite part of belly dancing is the figure-eight hip motion. The figure-eight motion is a sensual move that is made to resemble the movements of a snake.

At the end of the last class, there is a Hafla, an informance, which is where the instructor talks about the tribal nature of belly dancing, explains that it is a social dance and helps shine light on reasons why dancers dance.

“The enjoyment comes from within, and we’re not there to perform for you as much as to share with you what is important to us,” Arceneaux said.

Arceneaux allows her students to work at their level and go where they are capable. From the first class on, she makes sure that the dancers understand they are there for themselves and they only do what they are able to do. That way, everybody benefits from it.

Classes are $70 for 10 weeks. Advanced classes are held on Mondays from 6:45 p.m. until 8 p.m. starting Feb. 13. Beginner classes are held on Wednesdays at the same time starting Feb. 15.

Beginner classes are open to anyone. Advanced classes are for those who have experience in belly dancing or who have taken the beginners class.

Also, a belly dancing 101 class will be offerred on Feb. 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the Plantation Suite and will be free to all students.

“Our philosophy is ‘shake something,’ ” Arceneaux said. “It doesn’t always have to be the right thing that’s shaking, just as long as you are moving and having fun.