Professor dies of heart failure after workout session

Michael “Mick” Peters, management and marketing professor, passed away due to heart failure after working out at the Houma YMCA on Saturday. “We’ve lost a valuable member of the faculty, and our prayers are with his family,” said Ridley J. Gros, dean for the college of business administration. “He will surely be missed.”

Kevin Chris Cox, management and marketing department head, said that even though Peters joined the faculty just eight months ago, he had made quite an impact on the faculty and students, and Cox considered him a “first rate colleague.”

Peters received his bachelor’s degree in engineering from Kettering University in Michigan. He went on to receive a master’s and a doctorate in business at Indiana University. Afterward, he became a professor at LSU and stayed there for 20 years. He served as the chair of the department of quantitative business analysis while at LSU. Peters then moved from Baton Rouge to Tennessee where he taught at Middle Tennessee State University for 12 years.

Peters was excited about the move to Nicholls because he would be close to his son, who is a doctor in Houma, and his four grandchildren. Gros said Peters also enjoyed the students and atmosphere here at Nicholls.

Funeral services were held Tuesday at First United Methodist Church in Houma.