Colonels falter late yet again

After 45 minutes of lead changes, missed opportunities from turnovers and missed shots in the final five minutes, the Colonels are to blame for their 71-63 loss to Sam Houston State in Southland Conference action last Saturday afternoon in Stopher Gym.With 5:31 left in the contest and the score 51-49, Sam Houston (9-10, 4-4 SLC) outscored the Colonels (5-15, 0-9 SLC) 19-13 down the stretch to preserve the victory.

Ricky Blanton, Colonels head coach, said the missed opportunities played a pivotal role in the Colonels’ loss.

“We had too many breakdowns, both defensively and offensively, and then our inability to make free throws cost us. It is really unfortunate because we had an opportunity tonight.”

Junior forward Dominique Geason said it is frustrating to fall late in the game after playing so close for the first 45 minutes.

“It’s real frustrating because we were winning the whole game, and in the last five minutes we started having a couple of breakdowns and turnovers that gave them the edge,” Geason said. “They came down and knocked down their free throws, and we just couldn’t catch them.”

Since the Colonels committed 15 turnovers against Sam Houston, Blanton said protecting the ball is a must if the Colonels want to win the game.

“One thing that has great value to a team is being able to protect the ball and not turn it over,” Blanton said. “We need to make sure we eliminate the turnovers throughout the course of the game and at the crucial part of the game.”

The Colonels shot 41 percent from the field, 16 percent from the three-point line and 58 percent from the free-throw line.

Leading the Colonels in scoring was senior guard Markeith Brown. Brown was 6-for-14 with 17 points for the game. He also contributed five rebounds and one steal.

Blanton said Brown’s leadership as the only senior is important if the Colonels hope to close out the season with some victories.

“Markeith showed us his senior leadership tonight in the way he played on both ends of the court,” Blanton said. “He provided a spark for us, and we are going to need him down the stretch to give us some momentum and hopefully get some wins to carry us in the future.”

Senior guard Willie Depron, freshman forward Maurice Veal, junior forward Jason Wilkins and freshman forward Kieran Gleeson scored eight points each. Gleeson also contributed 11 rebounds.

With seven games left in the season, the Colonels still hope to make the Southland Conference tournament. Out of 11 teams, only the top six can clinch postseason tournament berths. Although the Colonels are currently in 11th place in the Southland Conference, Geason said he still thinks the Colonels can clinch a tournament berth.

“We still hope to go to the tournament,” Geason said. “We win the next seven games, you know what might happen because a couple of first place teams might drop down a little bit lower. You never know because we might make the tournament.”

The Colonels continue their season tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Stopher Gym against the Demons of Northwestern State.