Questions & Answers

Soccer midfielder continues childhood sport

Junior midfielder Hillary Clark and the Nicholls soccer team are heading into the last few games of the season. She answered some questions after a game against Oral Roberts.

Q: When did you start playing soccer?

A: I started when I was four years old.

Q: You play mostly defense and midfield right? Is that what you have always played?

A: Yeah I play mostly defense and defensive center mid. That is pretty much what I have played since I was about 14 years old. 

Q: Soccer can be a pretty physical game. They look at sports like football and say that soccer is not a physical sport. How do you feel about that?

A: If someone says soccer is not a physical sport, it is an automatic sign that they have never played the game before, in my opinion. 

Q: What is the worst kind of collision you have been in? 

A: I have had a couple of concussions back when I was in high school. I also injured my ankle pretty badly about two years ago, and I was out for quite some time. I have been fortunate enough to not tear my ACL or anything, but that is a pretty big injury for a lot of people, especially in girls soccer.

Q: Is it less glamorous playing defense than maybe forward, where you get to score more goals? 

A: Maybe it could be for spectators, but for anyone who knows the game, it is just as important. I know our defenders, our goalkeeper or anyone who is in the back should get just as much credit as any of our forwards.

Q: When you were younger, did you imagine playing in college?

A: I always wanted to, but I was not really sure if I would or not. I definitely had some doubt as I got older, and then I just decided to go for it. I met coach Dylan (Harrison), and it has been a great decision. 

Q: How did you end up at Nicholls?

A: I was playing in a tournament in south Florida, the College Showcase Tournament, and Dylan was there. He actually picked up eight other players from my class at that tournament.

Q:  You guys only have a few games left. How has the season been?

A: It has been good. It has been tough because we have had a lot of really close games. We have lost our last four games by one goal, and that is really tough. But at the same time, we have a lot of confidence, and we know we can step up. We know that we can take our next three games or four games. We can take it.

Q: For the next year, you guys have a lot of people coming back right?

A: Yeah, we have two graduating, so we will have a solid returning squad.

Q: How do you handle traveling and going to class?

A: When you know you have a team of 25 girls doing it together, it makes it a lot easier. It is really fun actually. It is a lot of team bonding. Keeping up with classes is not much of a problem. Our professors work with us really well, and we even get on each other on the bus about studying. It is a good support system.