“Extraterrestrial transvestites” seen outside the Union

Kelli Usey, art senior from New Orleans, Kayla Lapeyrouse, freshman from Houma, Katie Meyer, art senior from Houma, Cory Blanchard, freshman from Houma, Natalie Younker, art junior from Minden, Rusty Bouvier, art junior from Lockport, Heidi Domangue, art

Using cell phones to read their pamphlets, students gathered behind Bollinger Memorial Student Union Monday night yelling scripted profanities to pay homage to the 1975 science fiction-comedy-horror musical film, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” which portrays the perverse lifestyle of an extraterrestrial transvestite from the planet Transsexual in the galaxy Transylvania. Students actively participated in several ways. Some students attended the show dressed as characters from the film. A couple students even promenaded in the front row dressed in drag attire. Other students waved poster-boards displaying phrases from the film, and many tossed toilet paper rolls and food, such as rice and toast, into the air.

The event, hosted by Nicholls’ Art Club, Kappa Pi, an art honor society; and the Residence Hall Association, attracted more than 200 students. Faculty and administrators, including Eugene Dial, vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, Judy Daniels, dean of Student Life and assistant to the vice president of Student Affairs, and Marilyn Gonzalez, assistant director of international students, were a few among the crowd.

Alexis Pitre, art junior from Cut Off and Art Club president, assisted in hosting the event.

“The art club has no visibility. We wanted to put on an event that was free, fun and would attract a lot of people,” Pitre says.

Pitre says the original plan was to show an “old classic silent film” with a local band playing music, but Jeff Brown, assistant professor of the School of Fine Arts, proposed playing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” instead.

Pointing to Brown, dressed in drag attire, Pitre says, “As you can tell, he’s a big fan.”

The event united several generations of faculty, staff and students.

Barbara Barras, art junior from Napoleonville, said this was her 190th time attending the spectacle.

“The experience is different every time,” Barras says. “I first attended the show during the 80s, and it’s never been the same with each generation.”

Rusty Bouvier, art junior from Lockport and treasurer of Kappa Pi, dressed for the part, with a boustier, panties, fishnet stockings, makeup and an afro. Bouvier says he wanted to promote the Art Club.

“I wanted to be part of the tradition, throwing s**t and wearing fishnets,” Bouvier says. “I’ve seen the show before but never went to one with audience participation.”

According to several experienced participants, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” developed a cult following since its debut, where people began shouting responses to characters’ lines. There has even been specific sexual slang created to distinguish participants.

People who have never seen the show are called “virgins.” Those who attend the show frequently are called “sluts.” Those who have seen the film, but not live, are referred to as “masturbators,” according to participants.

Bouvier says he applauds the show because it promotes sexual expression and allows students to scream things they wouldn’t typically say.

Julie Ledet, art senior from Thibodaux, actively participated in the event, yelling with the crowd and eating popcorn.

“This really makes me feel like having sex,” Ledet says.

According to several art majors, the art department has hosted the show in the past and intends on doing it again in the future.

“Art majors are typical weirdoes, and we’re the best people to host this event. It’s strange yet still nostalgic,” Pitre says. “The administration was very receptive. They didn’t just let us do it; they wanted us to do it.