Freshman shines in Colonels’ 44-0 win

Just last year, freshman quarterback Zach Chauvin was preparing to lead the Thibodaux High Tigers to the 5-A state playoffs. Saturday, he led the Nicholls State Colonels to a 44-0 Family Day win over the Assumption College Greyhounds. Chauvin threw for 116 yards and two touchdowns and also ran for 90 yards in the win.

Head Coach Jay Thomas said he was pleased with Chauvin’s performance.

“He showed some poise,” Thomas said. “He did really well, and we are all really proud of him.”

Chauvin said once he took the first snap, he was ready.

“I was a little nervous at first, but after that I was good,” Chauvin said. “They showed a lot of confidence in me throwing the ball which is good because I like to throw the ball.”

The Colonels started scoring early. After a 49-yard run by Chauvin on the first play from scrimmage, sophomore running back Dwayne Jones scored on a two yard run three plays later to put the Colonels up 7-0.

The Colonels went up 10-0 after a 24-yard field goal from junior kicker Alex Romero with 10:35 to play in the second quarter and followed that by another five-yard touchdown run by Dwayne Jones to put the Colonels up 17-0 with 4:11 to play in the quarter.

Senior defensive back Toney Edison intercepted a pass from Greyhounds quarterback Marshall Tharpe to give the Colonels the ball back with 3:17 to play in the half.

Four plays later, Chauvin found junior wide receiver Micheal Okoronko on a 45-yard strike to put the Colonels up 24-0 before half time.

Romero added another field goal, this time of 35 yards to open the second half and the Colonels led 27-0.

After a blocked punt by sophomore running back Andre Kelly, the Colonels got on the board once again as Chauvin found Okoronko from 42 yards to increase the lead to 34-0.

Okoronko said he was pleased that the receivers finally had the chance to show what they are made of and credited Chauvin for doing a good job.

“I never seen a true freshman go out there and compete and have so much confidence,” Okoronko said. “Zach had his opportunity and he made the most of it.”

Romero hit his third field goal of the day, a 40-yarder, at the 1:52 mark to put the Colonels up 37-0.

Junior quarterback Chris Bunch got playing time in the fourth quarter and threw his first collegiate touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Patrick Gordon from 20 yards out. It was also Gordon’s first collegiate touchdown and the Colonels held on to the 44-0 shut out.

Edison credited defensive coordinator Steve Ellis for the defense’s shut out performance.

“Coach Ellis prepared us well,” Edison said. “We were playmakers and made the plays we needed to tonight.”

Greyhounds Head Coach Corey Bailey said he was thankful his team had the opportunity to visit Louisiana and play in Nicholls’ division.

“This is something that is good for our program considering where we came from,” Bailey said. “We were a Division III program three years ago. It’s good for our guys to see a program like this and have an understanding of what that next level is like.”

Thomas said he was impressed with how the Greyhounds played the game.

“They had no quit in them,” Thomas said. “They played from the beginning to the end. They have great kids and a good program. They came a long ways in a short amount of time.”

With the win the Colonels improved their record to 3-5 overall. The Greyhounds fell to 3-6.

The Colonels return to action Thursday night on Fox Sports Net when they travel to San Marcos, Texas to play Texas State for the annual “Battle for the Paddle.