The road to graduation: ways to kick “Senioritis”

“Senior-itis” may seem like a harmless reaction to the anticipation of graduation, but if one is not careful, that diploma can be harder to obtain.
As a graduating senior, this spring semester is the beginning of the end for my undergraduate career. In the blink of an eye, my world will change once I walk across the stage in Stopher Gymnasium on May 17. However, knowing that this is almost the end gives me a sense of relief most seniors have, Senioritis. Although this term is commonly used to describe the semester where high school seniors are about to graduate, college seniors can relate to this anticipation as well.
Though being at ease during this stressful semester can be a good thing, it can also backfire if one is not careful. Missing a day or two of class may seem harmless, but if turned into a habit, seniors can be in danger of not reaching their end goal of graduating.
I have recognized that living up the last days of my undergraduate career is a key factor in my success, but making sure I am on top of my academics is the main piece of the puzzle.  Working too little may cost us seniors our degrees, while working too hard can cost us our sanity. US News describes five ways in which graduating seniors can find a happy medium between these two extremes.
Taking care of the body is important. In between those nights of cramming for exams, it is important to grab a healthy snack and squeeze in some exercise sometime during the day to make sure your body is satisfied. This will help stimulate the mind and leave you feeling less exhausted.
Number two on the list is remaining organized. As young adults, our academics are top priority, but we still have bills to pay along with the extracurricular activities we are involved in throughout our college career. Keeping a schedule of everything you need done throughout the week helps you to plan out your week so that you have time to prepare for those big exams and presentations and have some fun later.
Remaining motivated throughout this semester is probably the hardest thing to do, but it must be a priority in order to finish. Once this semester is over, many of us will be entering the workforce or going to graduate school. These transitions are not easy, therefore staying focused and making the best of these last few classes can help you see that you are in college for a purpose. Once you recognize your purpose, motivate yourself and others to finish strong.
Number four is being realistic, which is a struggle for most seniors including myself.
Many people enter their final semester thinking everything will fall into place once they graduate. Many people seem to think job offers and grad school acceptance letters are a right rather than a privilege. The reality is, if you do not work to build up your résumé and strive to finish strong throughout your last semester, employers and grad school admissions committees will look at those transcripts thinking you were a slacker in school. This could translate to you being a slacker in everyday life. With that harsh reality, it is key that we seniors realize that our work in college is a reflection of how future employers will look at us.
This brings me to the last point of this list, making a trip to the career center. At Nicholls, we are provided with a Career Services center, which gives us the proper tools we need to get started in the workforce. We can get our résumés perfected and get advice on where to look for jobs. These tools are useful for working toward those steps we will take post-graduation.
This list helped me to realize that even though I need to enjoy my last semester here at Nicholls, I need to focus on what is important. Slipping into Senioritis mode every once in a while is expected, but we must remain on course if I want to become a college graduate on May 17.