Sixty-four Who’s Who students selected for leadership, grades

Nicholls has selected 64 out of 151 students nominated to receive the Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges award for 2006 based on their ability to keep up their grade point average while involved in campus organizations. The Who’s Who award recognizes students for doing well inside and outside of classes. A benefit of the award is that prospective employers will know the student had the experience in providing leadership in a university community, Eugene Dial, vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, said.

“I was really excited about receiving the Who’s Who award,” Katie Girior, government senior from Thibodaux, said. “I was more honored than anything.”

The selection process begins in September, and nominations are made by student organizations, departments or individual faculty or staff members, Dial said. Students are required to turn in a co-curriculum transcript once nominated, and they must have at least a 2.5 grade point average and be a junior or senior, Dial said.

“I am honored to be chosen out of all the people that could have been chosen,” Aimee Babin, nursing junior from Houma said. “I strove to keep up my grades and kept myself involved as much as possible to make the college experience more fulfilling.”

A selection committee screens each nominee using a point system to determine which students are at the top of the list.

“Students with a leadership role and a grade point average of 2.8 or higher earn higher points,” Dial said.

The selection committee includes student representatives for each academic college, for the Office of Student Life or the Office of Student Services, or students who work for the dean of the Office of Student Life, the dean of the Office of Student Affairs or any academic dean, Dial said.

Students selected for Who’s Who receive a certificate and a pin created by the University, Dial said. Students along with their parents or spouse are invited to a reception in the Cotillion Ballroom in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union Nov. 16.

The Who’s Who award is given once a year in the fall to honor exceptional students for their leadership and academic accomplishments, Dial said. The award was presented to the first group of students in 1960 at Nicholls.

The best activities to get involved in are the student organizations in a student’s academic major, Dial said.

“I encourage students to get involved in as many activities as they can,” Dial said.