Sports editor says goodbye

Three years ago I sat in the Union as a lost freshman and picked up my first copy of the Nicholls Worth. After flipping through an issue one day, I came across an ad that said the Nicholls Worth was hiring sports reporters.

Since at the time I was a general studies major and had no clue what I came to college for, I decided to apply.

I now sit here as sports editor after three influential years of working for the Nicholls Worth. What started out as an experiment for me suddenly became my life.

With only one year left till graduation, I’ve decided to explore new avenues and do more correspondence work for the Tri-Parish Times. I feel it’s a good career move for me and a chance to hopefully get a job if a position opens after I graduate.

After a semester of thinking and analyzing the situation, I have decided to step down as sports editor of the Nicholls Worth following the conclusion of this semester.

I have met many great people along the way, whether it was readers, athletes, coaches or co-workers, I have been influenced by each person I have met.

Looking back at my term, I can honestly say it was one of the most interesting terms than any previous sports editor has had.

In my three years employed here, I have had a chance to witness the highest of highs, such as the Colonels’ winning the Southland Conference, to the lowest of lows such as the NCAA investigations a couple years ago.

Along the way I’ve made great friends, and the experience, although stressful at times, is something I would never trade for anything.

Words cannot express how much this paper, this staff and Nicholls athletics mean to me. I see I have grown so much as a writer, and it is all because of the people I have been around.

I would personally like to thank all of the athletes and coaches including Coach Jay Thomas, Coach Scott Williamson, Coach Chris Laird, Coach J.P. Piper, Coach Mark Cook, Coach Chip Durham, Coach James Schilling, Coach Cindy Piper and Coach Jenny Parsons for putting up with me over the last three years.

Whether it was a win or loss, I always felt welcome during interviews. Thanks for also turning me into one of the biggest fans of Colonels athletics.

On that note, I’d like to thank current Sports Information Directors Brandon Rizzuto and Michelle Keife, as well as former Sports Information Directors Bobby Galinsky and Thad Angelloz.

Without these people I would never have been given access to interview the coaches and athletes for any story I have written.

Before coming to Nicholls, I had followed the teams a little but not nearly as much as I do now. Just from getting to know all of these coaches and the athletes, I have grown a newfound love for all the sports teams on campus.

In addition to coaches, I would also like to thank all of my co-workers including former editor Stephanie Detillier, editor Crystal Robichaux, former sports writer Geoffrey Stoute, sports writer and soon-to-be sports editor, Clyde Verdin Jr. and advertising manager Tyrin Fultz, among others for making my term so great.

Without Stephanie and Crystal I would not have been challenged to do better, and without Geoffrey and Tyrin I would never have been able to have a conversation about sports with anyone.

As far as Clyde, I feel now, more than ever, he is ready to maintain the sports section. Inside the office we were workers, but outside of the office, we have become best friends, and that is the one thing I will cherish the most. Had it not been for Verdun, I may never have realized I am the cutest face to ever work at the Nicholls Worth.

I don’t know where I’d be today had it not been for these people along with my adviser Tonya Danos and Student Publications secretary Anne Toloudis. Never had I thought I could actually enjoy coming to a job until I met these wonderful people.

Lastly I’d like to thank the readers. Without all of you I know I probably wouldn’t be in this field. I know I haven’t met all of you and probably will never have the chance to, but I would personally like to thank each and every one of you for taking time to read my articles. It’s been a fun ride, and I hope it was as enjoyable for you as it was for me.