Hottest gifts of 2005 discovered in survey

The mercury is slowly dropping, and days are getting shorter. Classes are wrapping up, and students are packing up. If you have not already started, it is time to start your holiday shopping. As you venture into the crowded stores this holiday season, it will be good to know the hottest gifts of 2005. The Macerich Company, one of the largest owner/operators of shopping malls in the United States, has made it easy for you. It has just released Shopping in America Holiday 2005 consumer survey. According to the survey, MP3 players, Barbie items, fashion and entertainment will be among the top sellers. Men’s and women’s individual wish-lists will range from sports tickets, designer jeans and golf clubs to DVD/CD box sets, jewelry and embellished fashion.

The iPod Nano, Xbox 360 and plasma/High Definition television rank among the most popular picks in the electronic gifts category, while the Game Boy Micro and digital cameras with MP3 players came in at the bottom of the list.

“I have to get that new Xbox,” Chris Pontiff, business administration junior from Houma, said. “I am tired of whooping people in NCAA on regular Xbox.”

Men wanted sports tickets more than any other gift, followed by designer jeans. Hybrid golf clubs also scored high. Men did not want to see loafers, vests or trendy rock-inspired jewelry, which all fell short of popular.

“I want the same thing I have been wanting since I was three,” Don Puebla, freshman from Raceland, said. “I want an Etch-a-Sketch, not the little keychain, but the big one.”

With new releases of popular TV series and movies, DVD/CD box sets topped the wish-lists for women. They also hope to unwrap trendy, layered necklaces, embellished sweaters and designer home accents on Dec. 25.

“I want a laptop for Christmas,” Rebecca Fontenot, psychology junior from Houma, said. “But, when I told my dad, he just laughed.”

If you are buying for the younger set, Barbie, Dance Maker/Dance Dance Revolution, Teddy Ruxpin and the Amazing Amanda Doll should be at the top of your shopping list. Stay away from the new Furby, iZ/iDog and Aquadoodle Drawing Board.

“I am getting my friend’s baby a bouncer,” Catherine Richie, nursing junior from St. Francisville, said. “It is one of those things you hang in the doorway to bounce a baby.”

Another trend revealed by the survey is holiday shoppers treating themselves during trips to the mall. Forty-four percent of those surveyed admitted that they will most likely pick up at least one item for themselves this holiday season. Women admitted to returning 10 percent more gifts than men.

Overall, U.S. consumers plan to spend an average of $655 on holiday shopping, which is up 7.8 percent from last year. Shoppers will spend an additional $316 for parties, decorations and other seasonal purchases.