Saints success equals increased support

The recent success of the New Orleans Saints has brought black and gold fever to the community and the University. The Saints currently sit alone in first place in the NFC South division with a 6-2 record. That success has resulted in increased sales of Saints merchandise and better team support.

Wal-Mart, which sells Saints hats, shirts, jerseys, key chains, ties and blankets, has seen the biggest increase in the sale of Saints stuff, among all other apparel sold.

According to Valerie Babin, assistant manager at Wal-Mart in Houma, the sale of Saints merchandise has increased.

“We’ve always sold a number of Saints stuff,” Babin said, “Over the last couple of weeks though, it has increased.”

Dana Tompkins, apparel sales employee of Wal-Mart in Thibodaux, said the hottest selling item has been the Reggie Bush jersey.

“Right before the Monday night game against Atlanta, we sold everything we had,” Tompkins said. “We have to order even more now because we could not keep it on the shelves.”

Wal-Mart is not the only store seeing increased sales.

Academy Sports and Outdoors has also seen an increase in profit from Saints apparel, especially when the Saints returned to New Orleans for the first time following Hurricane Katrina.

“Since the hurricane we have had a remarkable increase in sales,” Kent Broussard, assistant manager of Academy Sports and Outdoors, said. “It has been non-stop.”

Aside from the community, Saints fans on campus have began to slowly emerge, according to Brian Drewes, biology senior and avid Saints fan from Kenner.

“I think when the team isn’t doing as well, people do not buy gear so you do not see as much of it,” Drewes said. “I always was and always will be a Saints fan, no matter what the record says.”

Drewes said he believes the Saints’ success is largely due to the new coach.

“I think Sean Payton is one hell of a coach,” Drewes said. “He has a real fired-up mentality about him which he brings to the locker room, and the players respond real well.”

Cade Voisin, mass communication senior and employee of ESPN radio from Houma, said he believes many of the fans are bandwagon fans.

“I’m sure there are many bandwagon fans out there who just like the Saints when they win,” Voisin said. “There’s nothing wrong with that. I’m not one of them. I would wear the Bobby Hebert uniform for Halloween every year as a kid.”

As far as the team goes, Voisin said this year he was surprised by the team’s performance.

“It is really impressive to see them play as a team for once,” Voisin said. “Even if they are losing, they are still in every game. It is totally different.”

Even though the season is at its midway point, Voisin said he is optimistic towards the future and confident about the remainder of the season.

“I hate to knock on wood, but we are seeing something being built from year to year,” Voisin said.