Marcet overcomes injury to become offensive producer

Nicholls State junior catcher Brittany Marcet is a quiet leader. This is visible within seconds of meeting her. 
She is uneasy, and the site of a recorder makes her extremely nervous. However, it does not make Marcet any less of a leader.  With a shy demeanor, Marcet likes to lead by example, rather than gathering her teammates and giving them direction vocally.
“I’m trying,” Marcet said with a grin. “I’m not the oldest, but I try to (assume the role) because I’m a catcher. I’m not the most talkative, but I try to lead by example.”
Leading by example is exactly what Marcet has done this season. Marcet is currently second on the team in batting average with a .336 average, and she is second on the team in home runs with two.
Marcet’s batting average jumped from .237 in 2011 to .345 in 2013. She credits her coaches for her improving, steady bat.
“I think it has a lot to do with our hitting coaches,” she said. “We have two coaches watching us and helping us, instead of just having one. I think that it’s really helping everybody out, not just me.”
One of those coaches that helped her is head coach Angel Santiago. Marcet believes that he has done wonders for her collegiate career by adding a system that compliments her both on the field and off. Simple tasks like watching film of her hitting help her see what she’s doing wrong and what she needs to improve.
“He helps me not just with hitting, but he helps me with catching. He really bring structure to the team, and we’ve never really had that before.”
Her career-high batting average and offensive production has helped her team amass 19 wins this season. Marcet enjoys being a contributor because she likes helping. In fact, her career ambition is to become a firefighter. It’s been her goal “ever since 9/11.”
“I didn’t want to join the army or anything, so I thought that would be best to help people here.”
Fighting fires is something Marcet wants to do after college. Right here, right now, she’s busy being one of the Colonels best offensive weapons on the team. She’s enjoying her time because she knows it can all go away in the blink of an eye, just like last season. Marcet received a redshirt in 2012 for tearing her ACL, an injury that put her out of action for the entire season. This wasn’t unchartered territory for the catcher from Pearland, Texas.
“It wasn’t a new thing because I did it my senior year of high school, and I came back,” Marcet said.
Marcet admits that it is hard starting all over and coming back from such a detrimental injury, but she has done it. After sitting for an entire season and cheering on her teammates from the bench, she has now assumed a leadership position on the team and has transformed herself into one of the best hitting catchers in the Southland Conference.