A look into the future of Colonels athletics

It seems like every semester I write a column on how I believe Nicholls’ sports is on the rise, but this year I feel now, more than ever, that statement looks true. Although I haven’t always been right, I found an issue of the Nicholls Worth from 2005 in which I wrote Nicholls would win the conference and Coach Thomas would win Coach of the Year. I obviously nailed that one to the teeth so I apparently have at least some idea of what I’m talking about.

Just as Clyde gave his midterm grades last week, I feel it’s time for me to look at the future of athletics on campus. It appears to me almost all Nicholls sports are going in the right direction.

Whether it’s the largest sport like football, or something small like track, each athlete and fan has something to be excited about in the coming seasons.

First I’ll start with football. Sure the team has had its ups and downs, and they have lost some conference games, but the overall future of this team is bright. The recent success of freshman quarterback Zach Chauvin gives Colonels fans plenty to be excited about in the future.

Another advantage is the team is still young. With the exception of two starting offensive linemen and several linebackers, the Colonels have a relatively young team. Look for them to make great strides for the remainder of this season and throughout the next couple seasons.

Taking a look at both men and women’s basketball, the same opinion holds true.

The men’s basketball schedule is brutal, but in the end it could only help the team. With a schedule featuring the likes of LSU, Mississippi St., Auburn, Texas and a number of other powerhouse teams, this team is sure to be fit for a possible run at conference. Even though it is unlikely the Colonels will win any of those games, the games are still building blocks they can use to build around success.

Then again who knows? With junior transfer Aaron Scott joining the likes of senior guard Stefan Blaszczynski and junior guard Adonis Gray, this team could pull off a couple of shockers in the earlier games. With only one senior on this year’s team, the Colonels are bound to make some noise in the near future.

The women’s side is equally as talented. Since arriving on campus two years ago, Lady Colonels Head Basketball Coach Mark Cook has made a significant impact on the Lady Colonels. After making the conference tournament in his first season and just missing out last season, it appears this program is bound for even more success this season.

Just like the men, the Lady Colonels also have only one senior with pre-season All-SLC selection Jamie Octave leading the charge. With a young team and a pre-conference schedule with winnable games against Prairie View A&M, Tennessee St., UNO and Centenary, this team should be fine going into conference play.

With young teams, the future looks bright for the men and women basketball teams.

Not to take away from those teams, but one of the most exciting sports to watch this year will be softball.

After going to a pre-season tournament last weekend and belting out a total of 8 home runs over a three day span, the Lady Colonels appear to be a powerful force this season.

After making the Southland Conference tournament last season, the Lady Colonels appear to already be on track to compete in conference. With 12 returnees this season the Lady Colonels appear to be a force to be reckoned with, and softball fans will have plenty to be excited about.

As far as baseball goes, this year’s team will have a whole new look. Second year Head Coach Chip Durham cleaned house last season and has assembled his team. The team showed signs of success last season but didn’t have enough to compete in conference. I believe this season could very well be the season Colonels baseball returns to its form and becomes a serious contender in conference once again.

Even though the soccer season has ended and volleyball is nearing an end, both teams have showed signs of a bright future. Head Soccer Coach Cindy Piper had her team in contention for the conference tournament until the end, but the team was unable to sneak in. Even though the team is losing key players, with an updated facility and the emergence of sophomore midfielder Sara West, this team is poised for big things next season.

As far as volleyball goes, with only one senior on this year’s team, Head Coach Chris Laird and the rest of the volleyball family have plenty to be excited about in the near future. They showed signs of being a dominant team in their victories over Southeastern and their close losses to Southern Mississippi, Texas-Arlington and Texas A&M Corpus-Christi.

The men’s and women’s tennis, track and golf teams also appear to have bright futures. The track teams already had athletes place at meets this year and with the foundation being laid by Head Coach Scott Williamson, this team looks to be on the rise.

Last season the men’s tennis team made its first trip to the Southland Conference in the team’s young history. With a new coach and the loss of only one player, the team appears to be destined for a repeat trip to the conference tournament.

The women’s tennis team showed great promise last season, and although they didn’t make the conference tournament, the future looks bright for them as well.

And finally, there is golf, the only year-round sport. Even though I haven’t covered much golf, I know Head Coach James Schilling has his team ready to compete year in and year out.

These teams have always been competitive, and there is no reason to think otherwise.