Upcoming festivals to check out

Along with the coming of Spring enters the excitement of music through the many music festivals happening across the south.
The Nicholls radio station, KNSU 91.5 FM, has sponsored giveaways throughout the month of March for music festivals such as the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, and the Hangout Music Festival.
Today, KNSU will sponsor the Bonnaroo Music Festival trivia contest at 7pm live on air. The first student to e-mail the radio station all of the correct answers to the trivia questions will receive a pair of tickets to the festival.
The Hangout Music Festival, located in Gulf Shores, AL. will be from May 17 through 19. Musical performances include Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Stevie Wonder, Kings of Leon, Kendrick Lamar and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. General admission for this three-day music festival is $229. Children accompanied by an adult get in free.  Matthew Fryou, mass communication junior from Morgan City and DJ for KNSU, said he would enjoy going to this festival because of its great atmosphere.
“This festival is the closest thing to Woodstock as this generation is going to get,” Fryou said.
On April 11, KNSU also held a trivia contest for the Hangout Music Festival. The person who sent in all of the correct answers via email to the station within the 7 O’clock hour won a pair of weekend passes to the Gulf Shores music festival.
Along with sponsoring a giveaway to the festival, KNSU plans to send DJ Cindy Rivet to Gulf Shores to cover the three-day festival for the radio station.
Nick Gremillion, KNSU station manager, said this festival will probably be a student favorite because it is full of great music on a white sand beach the weekend after finals.
On April 18, KNSU sponsored an identical trivia contest to the Bonnaroo and Hangout Festivals in which they gave away a pair of tickets for the concert held at the Fairground Race Course in New Orleans.
The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, commonly known as the Jazz Fest, will be held from April 26 to May 5. Jazz Fest began in April 1970. Jazz Fest highlights the culture and music of the birthplace of jazz. This year’s musical line-up includes Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, Dave Matthews Band, Maroon 5, Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly, B.B. King, Frank Ocean and many more. Along with great music, Jazz Fest has a host of local vendors selling popular Louisiana dishes including crawfish bread, po-boys, boudin and more. General Admission for Jazz Fest is $65 at the gate and $10 for children under the age of ten.
The Bonnaroo Music Festival, located in Manchester, TN, will be held on June 13 to June 16 and will feature live performances from Paul McCartney, Mumford and Sons, R. Kelly, Kendrick Lamar, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and many more. Entertainment for the audience to enjoy include The Academy, which is a collection of arts and crafts that involve much participation from festivalgoers. These interactive workshops include break dancing, instrument building and theatre.
General Admission for this four day-festival is $269.50. For a VIP package for two people,  the cost is $1449.50.