SPA cuts budget for newspapers

The number of state, local and national newspapers available to students has been decreased due to the Student Programming Association’s budget cuts for 2006-2007, resulting in complaints from students. Students have reported having difficulty trying to locate papers in Bollinger Memorial Student Union and Powell-White Hall between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. “Sometimes I rearrange the path I take around campus to be sure that I can get a paper because of the shortage of papers,” Richard Leboeuf, biology junior from Montegut, said.

SPA made budget cuts because of over-spending in the spring semester, Jennifer White, SPA adviser, said. Due to Hurricane Rita the crawfish prices had risen during the time of Nicholls’ annual Crawfish Day.

SPA makes its order for newspapers in the beginning of the school year for the entire year, White said. SPA said they would make a supplemental order for the spring 2007 semester and order more of USA Today and The Advocate to accommodate students.

“This is the first time we have had a situation like this,” White said. “I am tickled pink that students and faculty members have become accustomed to receiving their papers, and we want to serve the needs of the University community.” In the 2004-2005 school year, SPA spent $15,000 on newspapers, in 2005-2006 $20,000 was spent and in this school year the amount decreased to $14,000, White said.

In spring 2006, 482 papers were delivered daily, and this fall 365 papers are delivered, White said.

In the Union, 80 copies of USA Today, 15 of Baton Rouge Advocate, 29 of The Daily Comet, 30 of Houma Daily Courier and 31 of The Times Picayune are delivered each day, White said. Powell-White receives 30 copies of USA Today and 25 of Financial Times.

Other newspapers are delivered to Polk Hall, Betsy Cheramie Ayo Hall and all resident halls.

“The newspapers are running out before students can get them,” Shawn Little, Student Government Association director of student rights and grievances, said.

“If we can pinpoint what times the papers are running out, then maybe we can supply more, he said”

Complaints received from students were mainly about a shortage of papers in the Union, Little said.

SPA is making sure the amount of newspapers delivered to the University is accurate by having a University officer sign a log indicating the number of papers as a carrier delivers them, White said.