Nicholls honors veterans

A ceremony and luncheon were held to honor veterans last Friday in the Bollinger Memorial Student Union Ballroom. Students were invited to attend, and according to University veteran liaison counselor Wanda Porche, there were about 120 to 130 people in attendance.

A few guest speakers spoke at the ceremony, and Porche said that it was a very touching experience.

“Sgt. Gilmore had us close our eyes and think about what a soldier would be doing at this time while we were here enjoying our freedom,” Porche said.

According to Porche, he explained to those in attendance what soldiers are going through. No sleep, hunger, and being cold were among the feelings Gilmore mentioned.

“He wanted us to be in their shoes for a moment,” Porche said.

Ben Bolten, a Nicholls alumni, spoke at the event as well, according to Porche. He has just returned from Iraq and will be returning to Nicholls in the spring.

“He thanked the veterans and talked about how they gave us our freedom,” Porche said. “I hope some of the students are grateful that they are here instead of at war.”

After the ceremony, which was from noon until 12:45 p.m., a luncheon was held for veterans from 1 to 2 p.m. In the past, the University has done the same for veterans, according to Porche.

Guest speakers also spoke about their days in the military and casualties from Louisiana, Porche said.

“I have a few cousins at war,” Porche said. “It’s just scary.”