Norris shares experiences, ideas in autobiography

Chuck Norris’ autobiography “Against All Odds: My Story,” is a mostly chronological story of the major events in his life and career. The book is dedicated to Rachel Joy Scott, a courageous victim of the Columbine High School shootings who was killed for believing in God.

This overview of his life shows that he is a sincere Christian, referring to God many places in the book.

“Funny, for years I simply went about my business, going through life, doing my own thing, almost unaware of God’s presence in my life or His workings in the lives of my friends,” Norris writes in the book. “Now that I’ve traveled a few more miles in my spiritual journey, I’m able to recognize the hand of God in ways I never have before.”

“Against All Odds” opens with the story of his wife’s troubled pregnancy with their twins, Danilee and Dakota, and then flows into the story of his own mother’s pregnancy, thus beginning the story of his life.

The book is 246 pages of his life: from birth to karate, military, show business, his children, being friends with presidents and the late Bruce Lee and ends with God’s plan.

In the book he writes of celebrity and high-profile students he has taught the martial arts, including Dan Blocker of “Bonanza” and his children, the Osmond family and Bob Barker of “The Price is Right.”

The book, written with Ken Abraham, takes on a narrative feel. It reads like excerpts from a diary or biographical paper for school, only rewritten and edited professionally.

Though Norris did not fully embrace the Christian lifestyle until the mid-1990s, the book is being promoted as a Christian autobiography.

“Against All Odds” is Norris’ second autobiography. The first autobiography he wrote, “Secrets of my Inner Strength,” was co-written by Joe Hyamms but was written from a more entertaining point of view.

The book is light reading, not really going into too much depth about his films and career, which may be due to the fact that all of that information was included in his previous autobiography. It also includes a photo spread of his films, family and friends.