Students urged to be aware of their rights

All students have rights, but not all students know what those rights are or how to make administrators aware that there is a problem.Eugene Dial, vice president of student affairs, says the first place to look is in the Nicholls State University Code of Student Conduct booklet. Every student should receive a booklet either in an orientation packet or in a freshman studies class. Booklets can be also picked up in the SGA office.

“The Code of Student Conduct gives everybody access to the rules and provides a level playing field,” Judy Daniels, dean of student life, said.

Inside are step-by-step instructions for students on how to file a grievance when they feel that their rights have been violated. The process can differ depending on the type of complaint. Complaints can range from problems with financial aid to discrimination issues.

The administration is required to explain the appeals process to any student that disagrees with actions taken against them by the university. The appeals committee, made up of faculty, staff and students, hears all appeals. The appeals committee meets privately after the hearing and decides whether to uphold or change the decision on the part of the university.

Any student with a problem can also talk to Louis Gardner, SGA director of rights and grievances, whose office is located in the student union. His job is to be an advocate for students who have complaints about the university. He can help a student figure out where to go with a complaint and, in many cases, will speak to the appropriate department on behalf of a student.

The SGA also hires an attorney to advise students on primarily legal issues. Appointments to meet with the attorney can be made in the SGA office. There is no charge for legal advice.

The confidentiality of any grievance that a student has is protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. This legislation protects a student’s educational record from being viewed by anyone without written permission from the student. Proceedings are kept confidential to everyone except parties involved.

“We have a system in place that I feel is the most fair, a democratic process, that listens to both sides and offers every individual an opportunity to file a complaint, press charges or do what they need to do,” Daniels said.