Geekly Weekly

Land-A-Panda

Land-a-Panda, a fairly new iOS app, may not be at the top of the list in the app store, but it definitely deserves to be.

Seeing an ad for it on the Internet a few weeks ago, I decided to try and find it in the app store. After seeing the thumbnail and noticing the cute little panda characters, I figured I’d try out the free version and see what it’s all about. I have a secret love for pandas.

From the start, I was in love. The story is that you control a male panda named Yang Guang, and you must reach the end of a stage to get to your panda soul mate Tian Tian, whom you are separated from.

Don’t get me wrong; the premise of it all seems kind of sketchy when you think really deep into it. I mean, you have your soul mate ripped from you each time you reach her at end of the level once you are finally reunited. Since this isn’t real life though, it makes for a good game.

The game plays like the barrel part of any level in any Donkey Kong game. You launch your male panda across each stage in little cannons, and each cannon has a certain movement to it. If you enjoy those little so called “barrel mini games,” then this game is definitely for you.

The game offers hours of play if you’re into the whole “correct positioning of cannons to get yourself across a stage” idea. Even though Donkey Kong kind of played it out, it still offers fun only because it’s re-done with a new idea in mind for Land-a Panda.

If you have a thing for pandas, and no apple products, I’m sorry. This title is exclusive to the iOS only. The fact that it’s only for iOS kind of sucks, because I believe that this title in particular would do well on any OS, truthfully.

The game is not as frustrating as I thought it would be either. I enjoyed playing the game, especially after I got the hang of how to do the whole cannon launch. This game is great if you’re going to be in a car for a long time.

With its simple and cute graphics and easy controls that even a five year old could pick up, I would definitely give this game an 8 out of 10.

For the Geekly Weekly, I’m Donny. Happy gaming, fellow Geeks.