Art student balances job with schoolwork

Erin Chauvin glazes a clay sculpture in the ceramics lab in Talbot Hall Monday.
Photo by: Ashley Falterman

When Erin Chauvin, art senior from Houma, is not working or in the art labs, she is catching up on some much needed sleep.
Chauvin said she works 30 to 35 hours a week at Pier 1 Imports, but has certain days off for school.
“I have a really great boss. I have been there for four years, so if I need a day off I usually get it,” Chauvin said.
Besides work and school, Chauvin said she also helps choreograph a musical called “Rock ‘n’ Soul Review” with a friend during the week.
Chauvin said her schedules conflict sometimes and she has to pick one thing over the other, but her priorities are simple. Chauvin said school is first and work is second.
“If I have to give up going to the Rock n Soul thing to do a project in the ceramics or papermaking lab, I will,” Chauvin said.
Chauvin said she keeps track of her busy schedule in her planner.
“It comes in handy. I write everything down. I have this that day and that this day. I just go down the list and check it off,” Chauvin said.
Chauvin said Jean Donegan, Coordinator for the School of Arts, keeps Chauvin on top of her game.
“Ms. Jean is always on me. She makes sure I do what I gotta do,” Chauvin said.
When it comes to budgeting her funds, Chauvin said even though she lives with her mom, she pays her own way.
“I have bills, lots of bills, like car insurance and cell phone bills. I get paid twice a month, so certain bills go with certain pay days,” Chauvin said.
Chauvin said due to the lack of time, sometimes friends and family are neglected because of her busy schedule, but she still finds the time to relax.
“You miss out on a lot of stuff. In the grand scheme of things, it will all be fine when I have my diploma,” Chauvin said.
Chauvin said she has this advice for students: “You have to prioritize things. What is the most important, and what is due? Write stuff down too, because it helps you remember the things that are due.”
After graduation in the fall, Chauvin said she would like to go to graduate school for ceramics at an accredited art school.